Rip Edv8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 09:32   #1 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner

Rip Edv8

Hey,

This has been my baby for the last 4 years and about 70,000kms. It was a one owner, old boys car, used only for trips up the Hunter Valley. Didn't have a mark on her, and started her life with me covered in Kmart pinstripes, sunvisors and every kind of plastic protector known to man. She was a great old bus, and towed many many many cars over the years. Including one trip from Newcastle to Jindabyne, picked up a Daihatsu Rocky then back to Newcastle. 20hrs driving in 24.

But last saturday night, just after the rain, I was going into Carrington from Industrial Drive when I hit a patch of oil. Lost the rear end, and she headed for the BP Depot. Bounced sideways over a gutter at around 50 kph and managed to avoid hitting a power pole. But she went through the wire fence and demolished a low brick wall with the nose, before spinning around and smacking the rear guard into the fence. I smacked my head into the drivers window and ended up thrown over the centre console. I was lucky that I didn't do any major damage to me, but its not worth the money to rebuild her. So we'll be stripping the running gear and anything of value before sending her off to the crushers.

RIP EDV8

L8a,
Prud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-1.jpg (29.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-2.jpg (31.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-3.jpg (29.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-4.jpg (27.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-5.jpg (20.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RIPEDV8-6.jpg (21.5 KB, 18 views)
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

Re: Rip Edv8

lotta damage for 50kmph... LOL.

Old 09-08-2005, 21:31   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 09-09-2005, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Hey,

You realise it was a head on with a brick wall? Brick walls are a lot tougher than the flimsy panels modern cars are made of. You can sit on the bonnet and dent them...

The panel damage wasn't what wrote it off anyway - thats easy to fix. The structure of the car is completely intact - the chassis hasn't been bent, the motor hasn't moved, all the gaps are perfect (except the bonnet for some reason). To fix the damage you can see is bolt on a new nosecone - not exactly hard to find decent ED panels - spray it and its done. Given I work at a panelbeaters, if the bent panels were the only damage, it'd be back on the road within 2-3 days. Put it this way - it still drives.

What killed the car was the fact that pretty much every suspension component, and the surrounding area, was badly bent. When it hit the gutter at around 50 kays it was sideways. The force of bouncing over a gutter at 50 kays, with a rather heavy car, means that somethings gotta give. Unfortunately what gave way wasnt the easy to fix tyres or rims, it was the expensive "I have to take it to professionals" suspension bits.

L8a,
Prud
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom