Ford Forums banner

Scary EA tail

4K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Cancerman 
#1 ·
Coming back home form Mt Waverley tonite i had the biggest scare of my life. I was on Sprinvale Rd and as i crossed another major Rd, my car just fish tailed. I proceeded to correct and it fishtailed the opposite direction and then completely spun out. I narrowly was missed by cars following me.

I know that Falcons have a very lose rear but iwas going under 70 ii a staight line. The car was in top gear and didnt kick down. The road was wet as it had been raining, but how could gthe car just lose it whilst not accelerating and not turning?

#3 ·
OIL+WET ROAD= SLIDING

mate i do this all the time just driving at normal speed not doing nothing the next thing i know im wheel spinning the rear steps out (mind you all this with cars around me)and its fun,i never lose it but came close and all this on the same stretch of road,everytime it rains..

might be the oil being washed up making it slippery.

#4 ·
It hasn't rained for a while yeah? A;ways happens mate. Roads will get really greasy as soon as it starts raining. It catches everyone at some stage. Theres a peice of road near my place that wen ever it rains theres always a accident there. So far this yeah about 4 trucks have come off this bit of road which is only about 200m around a bend so it happens to the best of us.

#5 ·
When its wet and I go onto the tram tracks my wheels will break into a spin.

Well SmokeEA no better way to learn then first hand experience, hope you learnt a little more about your car, and glad no one got hurt, or any car damaged.

Sad bit is you did nothing wrong, but have probably been labled a HOON for your actions :0(

Dellboy999

#7 ·
No i didnt fall asleep, but the guy who stopped to see if i was alright was worried that i was either drunk or really tired. But he quickly gathered that i was fine and that there was some oil on the road. This is not the first tiem ive had the EA sideways or do complete spins, but i usually do them in the dry under controlled conditions. I think it was lucky that ive done them and new how to control the car and prevent and damage from occuring

#8 ·
Shit that pretty extreme. Ive never had the car get sideways when going in a straight without having it kickdown or something.
Lucky nothing major happened.

I agree practise is the best way to learn.
I learnt my lesson doing fishys at 80k's down a gravel road. I landed just in between 2 big fat fenceposts with no fence.

#9 ·
Sounds like you experienced aqua plane mate, get a set of expensive tyres and it will not happen again.

cheers jjj

#10 ·
Mmm yes, Eagle F1s (GS D3 IF you can afford it :p) have been mentioned a bit lately, as being really nice in the rain.. this sounds like a very unfortunate event, and I'm damned if I know how you managed to not get hit on a major road.. very lucky. There must have been oil on the road or something.. the only time mine has really stepped out (and consequently spun out of control) was when I hammered it right up to 60km/h from dead stop, then it dropped a gear really hard. But to have it happen when doing nothing wrong.. that's just not fair :(

Also, I now have G-grid tyres.. better than the old ones maybe, but really no good for wet-weather...

#11 ·
I new the moment it had done one fish tail and was heading into the second that i had lost all control, so since ive been in this situation before, i remebered to just hold the wheel straight and tap the brakes on and off so as to prevent lockup. Ended up mising a Aussie post box by 2 metres. But to be totally honest, ive never been so scared in my life. I just didnt expect it to suddenly be facing the wrong side of the road.

As with these tyres, how much are they?

#12 ·
Depends on wheel size :) I think they're reasonably priced, but they don't last for to long, compared to some of the denser, less grippy tyres around. You'd have to ring up a tyre place to find out the exact price for your rims..

#14 ·
i've lost mine... twice.. was lucky :p
i'm careful now.

i skidded half way down toorak road at one stage with karl behind me :p

#16 ·
something similar happened to me lastnight aswell mate. i was in the inside lane of a four lane road (two lanes one way, two the other), i had just came out of a corner and was on a straight stretch of road, so i went to accelerate up to the speed limit, when the auto changed to second at about 60 it spun the wheels as it usually does but this time i must have hit a patch of oil cause the car totally lost it and veered off into the other two lanes infront of a couple of cars (who were luckely not that close or speeding so they could slow down). I drove home after that like a granny, it scared the shit out of me as it probably did to the other drivers.

#17 ·
Bridgstone Donuts - great tire on the front without abs, abs changes things dramatically, but I had donuts on the front of my XF (not alot of money and needed tyres in a hurry), was going a bit quick it was wet, monentary lapse of concentration, and suddenly I had stopped cars in front of me, well jumped the brakes without locking up, and kept power braking to a stop, gap was getting way to short way to quick, bottom line, the car pulled up, impressed the hell out of me, i was braced for impact :0)

But as a rule Yokohama are my tire of choice, just got brand new A539's all around.

Dellboy999

#18 ·
I use Goodyear Eagle F1s and they are sensational in the wet. Sounds like you need 4 of these tyres mate. They make a lot of road noise in the dry due to the tread pattern but I would rather road noise than aquaplaining....

plus stones get stuck in them alot of the time and go tick tick tick tick on the road in the dry! I hate that

#19 ·
Ive done simular thing in my ea, and ef.

Have a lot of trouble getting traction in the wet aswell. Ill get some good tyres when the bank allows.

Luck u didnt hit anything

#20 ·
NZ said:
Yeah and I was sliding too :( ever wonder why i changed to the lane beside you sudenly?
haha i had no idea!
the lack of ABS was a little worrying ;)

#22 ·
man you must have been shit scared when that happened!!

did this happen on that springvale rd, princess hwy and centre/police rd intersection?
cause i saw a car do the same thing last year

#26 · (Edited)
I was also nearly doing a fish tail on the second day I got my fairlane (about 2 weeks ago). Drop the blad goodyear immediately and put a pair of second hand yokohama at the back immediately with a pair of bridgestone er30 at the front. seems like the tail is now more sticky to the ground now...............

BTW, did u check your rear shocks? may be they r a bit worn, making the tyres not contact the ground as they're supposed to...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.