What e-series car would u do up? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

What e-series car would u do up?

If u had say $6000 to spend, including buying the car, which model e series falcon/fairmont/fairlane would u buy to mod up?
Given it has to be reliable and look half decent.

Would you go for something like a EA falcon and drop a AU engine in it, whack on a good exhaust, and if theres money left put a 5speed in?

Or would u spend a bit more on and get something like a EB/D fairmont because it already has a heap features. And maybe just do the cam and exhaust?

Or would you hunt round the auctions for a 1/2 decent EB/D/F with a blown engine and try pick up a cheap engine from else where, throw in a few bolt on mods and be happy?

I dunno what id do. Either look round for a decent EB/D fairmont, and put a few small things in with hopes of future mods.
OR pick up a EA or EB Fairmont with a rooted engine and try the AU conversion.

Ideas?
Can u put in how much u'd spend on each item so as we can see how u are doing with your $6k 'budget' :)

Can u tell im board? :D
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc

Last edited by EFJase; 12-18-2003 at 05:09.
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 05:10   #2 (permalink)
Woodsa

Re: What e-series car would u do up?

I got me a EA 5 speed SVO and I would happily recommend from experience that you look around for a real nice EA 5 speed S-pak. or something similar. then put a nice LSD with a good ratio and muck around for power outta the motor like an exhaust, CAM and POD or cold air. if it is in good nic, you will find yourself outrunning any six commodorre even a SUper six, because they only come in auto! that is what I had planned to do but ended up getting a thrashed SVO, still it forced me to get a good diff and get to know it. the EA is a little lighter but no where near a solid as the EB onwards. but i still love em'
options include "Genie" Exhaust/Extractors, Recaros, Momo Wheel/knob. Svo Body work, Svo Rims, Kicker 15' sub, kicker 6.5' splits. Alarm Imobilizer. Bilstien Shocks(SVO), Svo Anti swaybars, SVO springs. ED XR8 diff assembly and centre. DC LTD dash and wiring and *NEW*series II AU XR6 VCT motor*
SvoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:19   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

$6k is a pretty low budget, but I think it would be quite possible to buy a decent EA-ED for $2k, then spend another $2k on buying a wrecked EF with rear damage from the auctions. Throw everything from thermofans to engine/transmission/diff to interior into the car, then spend $2k on basic mods like King springs, exhaust, Wade cam and colour coding.

Another idea is taking a $500 EA GL 3 speed, and leaving the outside as is, but throwing in a short ratio LSD, MPI conversion, a twin-T3 budget turbo set-up and getting the engine rebuilt to handle the boost. If you do it all yourself you just might run 12s or 13s for the money.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:53   #4 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Could always buy an extaxi EF with about 600,000 k's on the clock. I know a bloke who got one for a grand. I bought one for $3,500 (with 12 months rego), because it had been recarpeted inside and was dam near flawless. Just an idea but.
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:05   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I would buy a manual EB2 or ED with nice paint for around 3.5 to 4000 then add 17's and dump it low with a nice sounding exhaust with the rest of the money. That was the plan for my ED anyway but I killed it to soon : (

Unfortunately 6 grand wont get you a very nice looking and fast car. Or alternatively do what jack said and buy a clapped out EA, give the engine a rebuild and whack on a 2nd hand turbo and intercooler and if all done yourself you may very well have a 13 second falcon for under $6000.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 14:42   #6 (permalink)

I'd probably buy a 5 speed EA S pack for about $2500-$3000 and do the usual stuff like wheels, suspension, exhaust, extractors, cam, headwork and diff ratio.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

EB series 1!
They are cheap and easy to get but their are a lot of differances in the chassie between the Ea and the EB series 1.
Series II is better with the 4.0 motor and a few other changes but the asking price is a lot more.
For $6k I'd do what I'm doing now and turbo it but without the contacts and mechanical knowledge (and the ability to weld) 6k isn't realistic for that kind of project.

For someone starting out I'd get a 5sp EB series 1 get a fairmont ghia ed interior for $250 and fit it.
Get a mate with a nice ED lowered with exhaust and mags to crash his car and then buy it from his insurance company and get the 16" mags with new tyres and full suspension setup and exhaust (also about 2 months old) and the 3.27 diff and put it all in your beast (my wreak cost $1500) then I sold some of the bits so the actual cost was about $600
Get a good alarm and respray it and volia nice car for around 6k.

Oh umm thats exactly what I'm doing anyway ;-)
Old 12-18-2003, 18:29   #8 (permalink)

buy a auction EF and whack a supercharger kit on it,leave it stock looking giving it the sleeper look..
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
No longer around

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
EB series 1!
They are cheap and easy to get but their are a lot of differances in the chassie between the Ea and the EB series 1.

its actually the series 2 EB's that got the better chassis/roof structure

if it were me i'd get a half decent factory 5 speed EA or EB with light front and side panel damage, shouldnt cost any more than say $1500. i'd then get a rear ended EB2 or ED Ghia that should cost at most say a grand, transfer all the nice bits over, to the freshly repaired and painted in whatever colour you fancy and whala

it shouldnt cost you any more than 6 grand all up
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:04   #10 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

id buy a brock EA.... somethin like 165kw stock then do er up to my 6k budget.. whatyas reckon???

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Showroom

Related Reading: What e-series car would u do up?