02 ranger gas saving question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 22:19   #1 (permalink)

02 ranger gas saving question

i just got a 2002 ranger fx4 and i was wondering how i could make the gas mileage a bit better.

my friend has a jeep and got a poweraid throttle body spacer that worked great for them so i was thinking about getting one for my truck and possibly also the airaid air intake system. anyone have any information about either of these or both, or had any good or bad results?

would a cold air intake like from k&n be a better choice to go with instead?
fordnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 05:41   #2 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: 02 ranger gas saving question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnc66
i just got a 2002 ranger fx4 and i was wondering how i could make the gas mileage a bit better.

my friend has a jeep and got a poweraid throttle body spacer that worked great for them so i was thinking about getting one for my truck and possibly also the airaid air intake system. anyone have any information about either of these or both, or had any good or bad results?

would a cold air intake like from k&n be a better choice to go with instead?
OH there is so much more you can do....Rogue Performance

Underdog-Performance, Stuff For Your Ranger

alot of these mods and after market supplies add horse power. but if you continue the same driving patterns it will net better gas mileage.

also a fabric tounneu cover might help.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 14:27   #3 (permalink)

thanx for those tips

does anyone else have any information on the spacer or the air intake system that i mentioned?
Old 01-03-2007, 14:22   #4 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 02 ranger gas saving question

Helix Power Tower PLUS

onestoptruckshop.com - Truck Accessories, Save on gas, lower gas prices - bully dog power programmer or a throttle body spacers, cold air intake, fuel saver

Check for your year, engine size to see if they have one for you!

up to 20 hp and potential for 3 miles per gallon.
Mr. One Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

in a recent thread in a ranger enthusiast site they discussed throttle body spacers. not much nice were said about them. ________throttle body spacer - TRS---------------
as far as tornado fuel savers go it is useless junk and in alot of cases only decrease gas mileage.
the only fuel mileage improvements i can tell is proper maintence and what you net from performance mods.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:56   #6 (permalink)

Tongue Re: Throttle Body Spacers = work or not?

Throttle body Spacers.

I would say one thing. They do vary in gains from one vehicle to the next but I have sold over 7,000 of them and have had only 45 returned that customers said did not do anything. I would also venture to say that about 20% of those people used them for a long trip and then returned them!

I've had customers of all ages call me back with their input and some have reported up to 7 miles per gallon gain on the highway. I would hope they new before how to calcualte gas mileage and used the same formula after they installed it.

I would say the best results have been reported on Chevy motors, Superduty gas engines and then Dodgies.

Food for thought - Thanks for reading
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58   #7 (permalink)

thank you very much for the info, i guess i will try it to see how it does
Old 01-04-2007, 08:38   #8 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: Throttle Body Spacers = work or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. One Stop
Throttle body Spacers.

I would say one thing. They do vary in gains from one vehicle to the next but I have sold over 7,000 of them and have had only 45 returned that customers said did not do anything. I would also venture to say that about 20% of those people used them for a long trip and then returned them!

I've had customers of all ages call me back with their input and some have reported up to 7 miles per gallon gain on the highway. I would hope they new before how to calcualte gas mileage and used the same formula after they installed it.

I would say the best results have been reported on Chevy motors, Superduty gas engines and then Dodgies.

Food for thought - Thanks for reading
can i see a independent dyno test on this these are some amazing claims.

i would imagine that extending the air /fuel chamber would cause drag and hurt performance minusculy but would indeed hurt performance.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58   #9 (permalink)

Tongue Re: 02 ranger gas saving question

I do not have this kindof info available. If you would like you can contact the manufacturer at Click to Enter StreetandPerformanceElectronics

I am only telling you what my customers have told me. I'm not making claims myself other that I DO get 3 miles per gallon more on my long trips. Yes, there are alot of other things that prolly go into it. I keep my fuel system clean , I put new wires and plugs in every 2 years and run a decent consistant type of fuel. I keep my engine compartment clean, my intake and mass air clean and dry, my coolant clean and filled so on down the line.

If you putting in a spacer on an engine that isnt running at optimum levels ofcourse your just polishing a turd. It's like this. "Your in a running race and your out of shape. Putting on a new pair of shoes is not going to help!"

I'm not the god al mighty of TB spacers but I have SEEN them work and KNOW that they do. Not for everyone, but under the correct conditions they will give you gains 70% of the time.
Old 01-04-2007, 15:17   #10 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

some one at another forum posted this recently
Quote:
Throttle Body Spacers

One of the most commonly advertised devices for improved horsepower and fuel efficiency is a throttle body spacer.46 They are relatively inexpensive devices and simple to install.47 In theory, the devices work by creating turbulence in the air intake stream. Fuel becomes more volatile when rendered aerosol and turbulent air flow allegedly makes this transition easier, but the claims are met with a great deal of skepticism.48

The rationale behind this skepticism is the engine computer itself. An ECU is designed to continually monitor engine performance and emissions output. While the device may initially increase engine performance, the O2 sensors will detect the increased emissions from an improved burn and adjust accordingly to reduce emissions. This is afterall, the primary purpose of the ECU, to reduce emissions for environmental protection. Therefore, after the ECU adapts to the presence of the throttle body spacer, a vehicle's performance will normalize. Older engines using a carburetor in lieu of an ECU may actually benefit from a throttle body spacer, but not a comptuer controlled engine
OmniNerd - Articles: Increasing MPG: The Factors Affecting Fuel Efficiency
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum