04 Ranger 4.0 v6 gear not catching...? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07   #1 (permalink)

04 Ranger 4.0 v6 gear not catching...?

uh dont know much bout cars so bear with me. ok as im driving my truck and cruise around 40 mph the truck usually feels like its slightly jerking. i've asked people and they say it sounds like my gear is slipping. i took it to the dealership and they said its probably the spark plugs and they changed them and it didnt fix it. its not a real bad jerking feeling but it doesnt feel right. also, as i accelerate, i hear a slight high pitch ringing noise. someone told me that sounds like gear whining. i dont know what that is and how i would go about fixing it. i dont want to take it somewhere and they tell me is something that doesnt need to be replaced or repaired. can anyone tell me what the problems are from and what i need fixed?
justinscott88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 04 Ranger 4.0 v6 gear not catching...?

If the rear axle has gear whine, you may be in need of a replacement gear set. First, make sure the axle fluid is at the proper level. If it's never been changed, change it out for some good brand name synthetic fluid. If you have an LSD (limited slip differential), youll have to add a couple ounces of friction modifier so the clutch packs don't stick.

Worst case, you have several replacement options. Yukon Gear & Axle is my choice for parts. To have a shop rebuild the axle with new parts won't be cheap, but expect around a $500 bill. A second thing you could do is phone local salvage yards and get a whole new axle. Most have relatively low miles on them as they are generally salvage vehicles. If you have a 4x2 and want/need more oomph from the truck you can upgrade with a lower gear. If you have 3.73, you could upgrade to 4.10's for nearly the same cost while increasing performance.

I also can't believe the dealer didn't even suggest that the rear axle may be the culprit, and all they do is install spark plugs! Geeze.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum