05 Ranger hard shift 2-3-4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 23:32   #1 (permalink)

05 Ranger hard shift 2-3-4

I've got an 05 Ranger XLT 4cyl auto with the 4r44e transmission. I got on the highway the other day and it was in 3rd gear, then all of a sudden it downshifted to 2nd then went to 3rd then 4th all in less than 5 seconds and it wasn't smooth shifts either. Felt like a shift kit it was so firm. The truck only has 13,000 miles and the transmission dipstick doesn't have a cap, it snapped off. Other than this issue, it revs up before going to the next gear, but that's just it flaring up.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1377671455.095910.jpgImageUploadedByAG Free1377671496.549186.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Cometman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 00:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: 05 Ranger hard shift 2-3-4

Check your transmission fluid. Problems with the vacuum lines on a transmission have been known to cause hard shifting. Clogged, bent or disconnected vacuum lines affect the pressure in the transmission and can cause rough shifting to occur. The transmission control module on your car stores transmission error codes. If you are having a difficult time diagnosing why your transmission is shifting hard, you can take your vehicle to a transmission service mechanic and have these error codes read.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:15   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Collision View Post
Check your transmission fluid. Problems with the vacuum lines on a transmission have been known to cause hard shifting. Clogged, bent or disconnected vacuum lines affect the pressure in the transmission and can cause rough shifting to occur. The transmission control module on your car stores transmission error codes. If you are having a difficult time diagnosing why your transmission is shifting hard, you can take your vehicle to a transmission service mechanic and have these error codes read.
Alright thanks, I'll check the level of the tranny oil and check the vacuum lines.

Old 08-29-2013, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Your transmission does not have vacuum lines. Way to new for that. You mentioned that it flare on up shifts? Like it slips? The 4r44,5r44 in the ranger and explorers liked to blow out the gasket between the valve body and Trans case. Would usually cause a slip between 2nd and or 3rd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 21:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Your transmission does not have vacuum lines. Way to new for that. You mentioned that it flare on up shifts? Like it slips? The 4r44,5r44 in the ranger and explorers liked to blow out the gasket between the valve body and Trans case. Would usually cause a slip between 2nd and or 3rd.

Yeah it slips. Feels like it goes into neutral and revs up before shifting up. And taking off from a stop it acts like a stick shift. It slips and revs up, then it catches on, flares up, then shifts to 2nd. Then 3rd is a hard shift and you gotta almost take your foot off the gas to get it into O/D. After it gets warm, the slipping goes away and it shifts normal. But if I floor it, it shifts super hard! This is why I don't buy 4cyls, The tranny's are weak. My 98 Explorer shifts perfectly smooth though, and its never had a trans flush in its 145,000 miles.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

The 4cyl really has nothing to do with it. But it does sound like something going on inside the Trans. Fluid clean and full?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:17   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The 4cyl really has nothing to do with it. But it does sound like something going on inside the Trans. Fluid clean and full?

The fluid is clean & full, but never been replaced to my knowledge. Only 13,000 miles.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Check engine light on? Overdrive light flash?

Old 08-30-2013, 15:49   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Check engine light on? Overdrive light flash?

Nope no lights are on when I'm driving. I'm use to having the CEL on my Explorer so not seeing anything in this truck makes me think it ain't working haha.

Old 08-30-2013, 18:40   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Well I'm not sure much more help can be given at this point. If all your basic checks are ok it's time for more in depth diagnosis. Pressure test is next on the list but you would need a pressure gauge for that. If the harsh shifting only happened that one time I would be more concerned with your flares between shifts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum