07 ranger upgrades - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 23:25   #1 (permalink)

07 ranger upgrades

hi guys,

i just bought a new 2007 ranger sport 2wd 4.0L engine and i was wondering if there were any uprgrades i could do to the engine that would give me a significant boost in horsepower thats relatively inexpensive. also, it seems that the engine has a governer on it that cuts fuel intake at 95mph. i was wondering if there was a way to increase the shut off speed because the rpms are still in the low 2000s when im at 95. thanks for you help.

mike
pyromaniac6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 14:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: 07 ranger upgrades

The best bang for you buck is going to an air filter upgrade. Just a K&N replacement filter in the stock box will run around $50. The whole intake kit will run around $230-$280. Anything else you do to the engine will either be much more expensive, ie. headers or be computer upgrades which leads into the speed governer question.

As far as I know you need an aftermarket cpu preformance chip that will take that governer off. I would be careful though. The speed is limited because of the tire rating. The stock tires are not designed for speeds in excess of 95mph. It would be very painful to have the tires give out on you at 120mph plus the truck in its stock suspension would become very unstable at those speeds.

And of course you can always upgrade the exhaust system for a reasonable price.
nitrorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:06   #3 (permalink)

there is a ton of stuff you can do, it all depends if you want to void your warranty or not.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:41   #4 (permalink)

Is the 07' the same as my 02'? with 5 cat converters? Boy I would sure like to get 4 of those out of there.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57   #5 (permalink)

mines an 86, you can do prettymuch what ever you want to it, including hogging out the cat,thats why i like old stuff. i dont know what its like in other states but 96 and above have to get emissions testing and that limits a lot of what you can do, which really sucks, off come all the mods to my wifes 96 explorer 5.0! i would go with something easy to remove and reinstall once a year.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16   #6 (permalink)

There is a company out there that makes exhaust cutouts which lets you dump the exhaust right out of the headers before it get to the converters. Only $50....
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57   #7 (permalink)
LO-07STX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillen140
there is a ton of stuff you can do, it all depends if you want to void your warranty or not.

Magnuson-Moss Act
you might find this useful.

u can do underdrive pullies for like 200 us, the air intake and exuast are the easy ones. then you can p&p you heads. get a sct-x2 turner. it all depends on what you want.
O yeah i have a 2007 stx as well so i know what you asking.
the07stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:27   #8 (permalink)

u could also go with headers from JBA or Gibson, new coil pack, Roller Rockers, Bigger TB, Performace fuel pump, supercharger, turbocharger, HD Heads, Performance cam, could do a stroker kit to make it into a 4.5 liter, High performance pistons, all the stuff u need to go fast is here Tom Morana Racing Engines
5R55E 5-speed auto with tranny cooler
Custom Cat Back Dual Exhaust, X-Cal2, K&N intake, 65mm Thottle body Half shafted, JBA Headers, Underdog Crank pulley, 180 T-Stat, Ported and Polished intake and exhaust manifolds, Screamin Demon Coil pack, Rouge 1.7:1 roller rockers, Custom grinded cam

Rangerpowersports.com
Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 14:06   #9 (permalink)
Ranger User

I don't think you need to worry about your tires giving out over 95 mph... that's one of the last things that'll happen if anything bad happens to you
Old 12-24-2006, 17:22   #10 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

4.0 Forced Induction - RPS Forums
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum