1992 Ford Ranger,looking to sell, advise please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 19:51   #1 (permalink)

1992 Ford Ranger,looking to sell, advise please

Hello, have not been in here in a good while as I’ve had no reason to for my truck has been very reliable and a faithful companion ever since I’ve owned it except for 2 times when it needed a major repair.

The truck in question is what my handle is, a 1992 Ford Ranger extended cab with the STX trim, fitted with the venerable 4.0L pushrod V6 and the 5spd manual transmission and is 2WD. Since this is the 2WD variant, it’s supplied with the Mazda sourced manual tranny as the 4x4 models get a manual with center diff sourced from Mitsubishi.

When I bought this truck in early February 2006, it had 189K miles on it when I bought it from good family friends after their youngest son; my best friend took pity on me. He saw the sad state my previous ride, a 1988 Honda Accord was in when I went over to borrow his shop vac to suck up water that’d accumulated in the passenger seat floor. About 3- 6” of liquid was sucked up into his shop vac that day. The car had other issues, including having been rear ended and missing its muffler as a result (and it was way past due a replacement as well) and I was in no way to fix the issues due to my lack of reliable finances at the time. So he got in touch with his dad who was part owner and they sold me the truck for $3000, $100 a month and that was 5.5 years ago and I’m still driving that truck today, but now, it has 234,700+ miles on it and still runs fine, however…

Part of my problems with this truck from day one is it’s not always a smooth shifter, sometimes not going into and out of 1st, nor 2nd gears easily and occasionally gets difficult going into reverse too. This often means either forcing it into gear, or wiggling the shifter back and forth or up and down between 1st and 2nd to get it into gear, or from 2nd to reverse, or vice versa. This makes parallel parking a challenge when it decides to act up and doesn’t do this all the time, nor at preset intervals, it’s random as some days, it doesn’t get difficult at all, other days, it’s really bad, especially if it’s warm to hot out and I’ve been doing a fair amount of shifting on city surface streets, but even slow moving highway traffic can bring this on as well. For about the past year, it now grinds on occasion when getting it into 1st gear and it will go occasionally go crunch when I try to get it into reverse in one of its difficult moments but so far, it doesn’t pop out of 1st, nor 2nd so that’s good.

The truck had its clutch assembly, the front brakes and wheel bearings replaced as was the oil in the transmission in the fall of ’05 when my best friend had it all done at the community college where he was working at that time so the clutch had all but 200 miles on it when I got it.

Other than the shifter difficulties on occasion, the truck has been very reliable outside of 2 incidences where major repairs were required. The first was in Dec of 2006 when the master clutch cylinder went out and had to be replaced. Then in early January of 2009, the clutch slave had to be replaced after it began leaking in Dec of 2008. Otherwise, it’s been all expendables like the exhaust and tires, oil changes and the like and last year March, the thermostat had to be replaced and a couple of times where I’ve had to fix a vacuum leak, it’s always started readily, ran flawlessly and passed its emissions inspections every even year (last inspection was this past Oct.).

The only other thing is the oil consumption now seems to be increasing. Ever since I bought it, it was fine for at least 3000 miles, if not until about 5000 miles but after a couple of years, it would begin to trigger the check oil light as little as 3000 miles and I would watch it and see if it went out on the next start up, usually it would go out but eventually, it would come back on at a restart and stay on and once I’m sure it’s on for good, I’ll check and add oil, usually a quart to as much as a quart and a half and all would be fine. Now, I have to add oil every 2-3 months and it’s just now got 5000 miles on its last oil change from a year ago May and I’ve had to add oil as early as January and again in May and just recently about a week ago. The motor doesn’t’ seem to be burning the oil as far as I can tell, nor does it seem to be intermixing with the coolant so leaking externally it may be.

So with that, the truck still seems to run fine and feels fairly strong and starts readily on a daily basis so that’s good.

Now I have a bit of a dilemma of sorts. A neighbor who lives in the other half of Mom’s duplex is interested in said truck for he’s a grounds keeper for a local golf course/country club but doesn’t make a huge amount of money and needs to replace his aging, and rusting 95 Dodge Dakota pickup that’s got some serious rust and is on its last legs as a result has asked first dibs on my truck for the body and paint are in great shape and appears to be mechanically in great shape from casual looks at it. The thing is, I am concerned that my truck may be mechanically further along than he may realize due to the high mileage it has and keeping it running reliably may become a burden sooner than later but who knows without a full inspection.

And here is where I have my quandary. Should I have the trucked looked at and disclose potential issues or leave sleeping dogs lie and let the potential buyer do the inspection. I know I can give this guy first dibs and let him refuse it before I do anything else but should I let him in on it’s true shape or what? And how much do you think I might get for this thing if I were to sell it? I know perhaps maybe 1200-1300 max in its present condition as the body is in mostly good, paint is still intact and in great shape and it is a local truck so rust is minimal there.

I’m ready to move on and move back to a small A/B segment hatchbacks as gas prices are expected to rise again soon and am simply tired of driving old, high mileage vehicles.

So what do you all say?

TIA!
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 13:40   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1992 Ford Ranger,looking to sell, advise please

Answer any questions he has about the truck and suggest he checks it out before making you an offer .Then if both happy , deal done .Just a wee warning though , not the first time I've seen friends fall out over selling cars to each other .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 15:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1992 Ford Ranger,looking to sell, advise please

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Answer any questions he has about the truck and suggest he checks it out before making you an offer .Then if both happy , deal done .Just a wee warning though , not the first time I've seen friends fall out over selling cars to each other .
Thanks, That was what I was leaning towards but wanted to be sure if the right thing.

Funny enough, that's how I bought the truck in the first place, from good friends and it's turned out well but as you say, it doesn't always.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum