1997 ranger auto transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51   #1 (permalink)

Red face 1997 ranger auto transmission

This truck has had two rebuilt trannys' since I bought it in 2002. Have no idea on the previous 5 years. is htis normal for Ford rangers. No misuse on my part, has trailer hitch and tows a Hobie cat 17' during the summer and fall.
The problem I have now is reverse is making horrendous noise, so I've cut back on reverse moves, can be done thinking ahead on parking etc. Can the band(s) be adjusted or go for another rebuild. 198000 total miles. The engine runs good and not willing to give up on ranger yet. Any suggestions?
sailin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1997 ranger auto transmission

They don't uusually have that many problems. As long as you stay below the tow weight limits, it should be fine. Has it been serviced regularly? Who's doing the rebuilds?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25   #3 (permalink)

Tow weight has been good. AAMCO did it recently and prior to that a transmission garage in Va. I was travelling the mts and had some trouble accerelating uphill.Now faced with reverse problems from AAMCO. Quite frustrating. Are there adjustments in reverse or does it require a teardown on Rangers? I have no idea yet. Thanks for your reply.
george
sailin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There isn't much that can be done without tearing them open. Could even be the valve body sticking. A shop will have to check it over. The Rangers are a great reuck and run a lot of miles.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum