1998 Ford Ranger Splash- Clutch Problems, help? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08   #1 (permalink)

1998 Ford Ranger Splash- Clutch Problems, help?

Hi,
Just want to start off quickly by saying I tried to do my own research ahead of time so that I would not feel like a lazy a**hole coming up to the experts and asking for the silver platter (also not sure if this should be in trans / driveline forum or here)

Having said that- this morning I got my truck about 20 feet out of the parking lot when the clutch basically "died/disapeared" on me. The pedal itself lost it's.. sponginess? give? dont know the term, but I believe you will get my drift, consequently I could not shift gears at all out of neutral, not to 1st or to reverse. I tried to let it warm up (you know us auto-idiots and our solutions) for awhile and still nothing, it was blocking the lane so I had to push/momentum it into a spot on the side of the street. As a quick corollary, something very similar has happened recently, however it was temporary and very driveable after 1-2 engine restarts. There is no discernible shifting problems otherwise, when it's going, its going. The problem has not occurred at any time during driving, only twice now on very early, very cold mornings (this last time being more serious in that I cant even get it going anywhere)

What I have tried to do on my own I looked up similar problems on the ol googles, and was led to check the Clutch Fluid Reservoir. Busted out my maintenance handbook and found this, checked it, it is low-but very clearly not empty. I have yet to fill it up as I dont happen to have any DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid lying around the apartment (however if this is the solution then im sure it will be no problem to bustrip to an auto store, buy some, and drip it in)
The only other "fixes" that I found on my own research were 1) checking and adding manual transmission fluid- this from the user's maintenance handbook, im holding off on this until i know its necessary 2) more technical indepth things involving terms like bell housing that I really have no f**king clue about and sound expensive/beyond my capabilities

So! Any troubleshooting you want me to perform? any feedback? any help?
It is all appreciated, and thank you.
shawnm7722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum