1998 rough start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03   #1 (permalink)

1998 rough start

Over the holidays I let my Ranger sit in my driveway with an almost empty tank for 2 weeks. The temps got down to the low 30's, and when i went to start it again it died on me. I added dry gas, and engine cleaner and went through several tanks as to get any water out of the tank. this did not help. I then took it to a mechanic and he said that my clutch fan was going out and that a sensor for the air intake had become loose and that my radiator fluid was very dirty, probably never been changed yet. He replaced the fan and rehooked the sensor, and the truck did run ok for about a day after that.

Whenever i start the truck it almost dies and i have to give it gas so it won't. If i don't give it gas and it dosen't die, it will have very low 400-500 rpms and will run extrememly rough, until it eventually adjusts its self to the correct rpm. If i give it gas, the rpms immedeatly drop and the car almost dies, but it will eventually catch its self and send the rpms way up. Also, when i'm driving sometimes the truck will jerk like it just hit something, or like a ball of something had just passed through the entire engine and out the exhaust. The engine will then produce a loud pinging from the engine whenever i accelerate. The computer codes came back clean, what's going on?
jonno1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum