1999 Ford Ranger XLT V6 3.0 Flex Fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 14:08   #1 (permalink)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT V6 3.0 Flex Fuel

Recently, the clutch reservoir fluid ran out and I couldn't shift gears in my truck. Replaced the fluid and was able to shift gears about 24 hrs later. Since then anytime I shift gears, a noise is made in the transmission.

I have bleed the clutch system and got some sort of white grease out of the clutch system. The noise still happens infrequently (sounds like the gears are crunching) so I may need to bleed the clutch system again.

Also, when I checked the transmission fluid level, it filled to an excessive level. When I started to take the screw out to check the level, fluid came out around the screw. I let the fluid drain to under the screw hole level but then also observed transmission fluid leaking around the top of the transmission where the shifter is located.

Has anyone else experience their gear crunching and what was accomplished to fix the situation.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT
V6 3.0 Flex Fuel
2x4 Manual Transmission
Important Vin# 1FTYR10V1XTA#####

Thanks
wbeard52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Recless ranger

Re: 1999 Ford Ranger XLT V6 3.0 Flex Fuel

do it happen in every gear u so to shift in or not.. If not it might be the timeing in the cluch. For the most part if you start double cluching during shifter it should not happen. thats what i do with mine.

messr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 14:50   #3 (permalink)

It used to but it only happens infrequently since the clutch system was bleed. I don't know what double clutching means can you explain it to me.
Old 04-18-2007, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Sounds like it may be time for a slave cylinder. May as well pull the trans and replace the clutch if it never has been before and have the trans looked at.

Does the clutch engage properly or does the pedal have to be almost all the way up before it engages?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 19:39   #5 (permalink)
Recless ranger

Double clutching is when your shifting you push the clutch in and out twice...

Do u know if your transmission is an interior cluch because it my be the slave or even the master cyclinder. Ur best bet is the go to AAmco or some place like that

Old 04-18-2007, 21:53   #6 (permalink)

That is what I am thinking. Do you think changing the transmission fluid would help alleviate the gear crunching soudn I am experiencing?

The slave cylinder is inside the transmission and it is going to be a big job replacing that part. :-(
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52   #7 (permalink)
Recless ranger

ur best bet is to go to the aamco

Old 12-03-2008, 19:11   #8 (permalink)

Double-Clutching is achieved when you push in the clutch and shift into neutral. Then push the clutch in again to shift into the desired gear. So, instead of shifting say, from 3rd to 4th gear, you would shift from 3rd to neutral and release the clutch. Then push the clutch in again and then shift into fourth. Good luck. The need for double-clutching was never considered a good sign.

Last edited by zenken7; 12-03-2008 at 19:14. Reason: misspelled word
zenken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 22:03   #9 (permalink)

I recently traded my 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L Flex. I was having serious issues with my clutch also before trading it. For me, which I had similar problems would have had to replace everything. The clutch, plates, throwout bearing, master and slave cylinders, and plastic lines leading to and from them. For you, there could be a leak or even a hair line crack allowing air into the system in any part of this, or one could just be malfunctioning. You will have to take it somewhere as the other users have said unless you are good with mechanics and have a lift and know how to take you transmission out, and transfer case out. Good Luck!
Tribes200099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum