2000 4.0 ranger/missing,headache - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
walch8383

Question 2000 4.0 ranger/missing,headache

Owned for 3 years, problems for the last 2. Engine feels as if it is missing, Engine light will always come on, and have had it in the shop numerous times. In the past two years I have had all o2 sensoers replaced, fuel injectors cleaned twice, two new sets of plugs, 2 new fuel filters, new cables. Last time I brought it in I was running off four cylinders and the plugs were completely burned out. Everytime I leave the shop it will run great for about 1 or 2 months. then the same thing happens, Engine light along with a engine miss firing feeling. Has anyone had this or heard of this happening, I finally found a mchanic whom I trust, but need to get to the root of this problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 4.0 ranger/missing,headache

walch8383
Did you ever get this resolved, it sure sounds a lot like what Ihave been going thru with my 91 ranger

Mike
mike517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 17:55   #3 (permalink)

That is odd that your plugs are getting fouled, something is amiss for sure. Has anyone run the codes on it? That may well tell you what the issue is, perhaps bad timing or perhaps bad spark plug wires, have they been replaced since you bought it?

Has anyone checked for any vacuum leaks, how does the truck perform otherwise when the plugs aren't fouled and how many miles?

I had a missing issue and that was caused by a badly severed spark plug wire and that caused the idle to fluctuate and the engine to run rough, all other plugs were coated w/ a dry brown stuff but the fouled plug was kind of oily if I recall from not firing due to a bad wire. I have the 4.0L V6 with 218K+ miles on it.

The same rough/fluctuating idle was also caused by a vacuum leak and yes, the check engine light came on every now and then but since the leak was fixed, all's been fine.

Good luck.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 15:51   #4 (permalink)

I am sorry to tell you that you got to check it in with a junk yard dude.
I had a 2003 Explorer and I finally got rid of it for good.
No more Ford...

Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13   #5 (permalink)

Used plugs speak volumes about what's happening inside an engine.

Lets start with the plugs themselves. Are they all burned up. By burned up what specifically do you mean. Also if only four of them are bad, are they all on the same bank or is it two on one side and the other? Next take a plug out and bring the cylinder to TDC. Get a pin light that has a small focused beam and look at the top of the piston. Look for heavy pitting or even some slight melting it different areas on the top of the piston. If your timing is very retarted you will have no power at all and the exhaust will stink to high heaven. If it is advanced too much or you are running too high of heat range on the plugs detonation can happen (Pinging) If all of this checks out, and just for giggles, try lowering the heat range of the plug by 1 or 2 numbers and see what happens. Good luck!
fordo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum