2000 Ford ranger clutch problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 10:11   #1 (permalink)

2000 Ford ranger clutch problems

Ok this all started yesterday while driving in stop and go traffic. It became a little bit hard to get my truck into gear. I had to force it (no grinding or anything) into gear 2 to 3 times. This did not happen when I was on the highway just when I was at a redlight or stop sign. I took it to a transmission shop today, and the mech, there told me it was probably my master hyrdolic seal that was not allowing my hydrolic fluid to squirt through instead it was oozing through and that was causing my clutch to "stick" a little. He said he would replace the master hydrolic hose, and the clutch for $700. Does this sound like the problem or is it my clutch only or just the seal? Also does this sound a bit high as far as service goes? I took it for a drive earlier this morning and it ran fine, I intend to get it fixed, but will not have the funds until the end of the month. I intend to just drive it back and forth to work which is 2 days out of the week.

Thanks for the help.
silentblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: 2000 Ford ranger clutch problems

well that sounds about right for the job here in stlouis, (i checked.) but call around i had qoutes for 400$ also. and it is one of those things where your clutch maybe still good but since you are getting your transmission dropped anyway might as well replace it all.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 19:21   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick response. My other question is the mech told me that I would be ok to drive it till for a few more weeks until I have the cash to get it completly fixed. Is this ok to do? Basically Ill be driving it about 5 more times before end of the month.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:09   #4 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

maybe, its hard to say. it could go the next time you drive it or it could make it. worn out parts dont really have a set time for them to completely fail.
Old 12-09-2006, 16:03   #5 (permalink)

Ok so if I need to replace the clutch do I need to buy a clutch kit? And if so what comes with that? Do I have to buy the master cyclinder, and the slave seperate? Or?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

well i would do both, and clucth kits are usually cover, disc, bearing, pilot, alignment tool

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Zip Code Request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum