2000 Ford ranger transmission problems??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 18:06   #1 (permalink)

2000 Ford ranger transmission problems???

Ok, I am new to this forum and I am having a weird problem with my Ranger, Well here the problem is and I hope someone can help me solve it, My vehicle seems fine when I put it into drive( Automatic trans) I step on the gas and the truck starts to go but when it usually changes gears it is either a harsh shift or a delayed shift. I can floor the gas pedal and it will drop back to 1st gear and Just rev out and wont shift until I let off of the gas and the throttle comes back down some. It is weird cause if I start in 1st gear I can manually change it to second and it is a smooth transfer no matter what the rpm and then to drive with another smooth shift. I just Changed the trans fluid and filter so I am afraid that this problem is gonna cost me alot of $$. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. also when i am in drive and starting off if I go real easy on the gas it seems to shift better usually and it usually shifts around 30 to 40 mph, I need help asap Thanks for any help you can provide
flblaster04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 22:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Ford ranger transmission problems???

make sure you didn't overflow the tranny fluid...take care
trumpet112001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 16:49   #3 (permalink)

Yes, Check the levels that you filled to. Sounds like you just over filled it.
Ranger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)

I just bought a 99 Ranger 4x4 with a 3.0 Fuel Flex Engine! Doing the same exact thing! Shifts hard between 1st and 2nd, and when I floor it, it will go back to 1st and redline!! My neightbor has the same model truck and had the same problem but after a while her ABS, OD, and Check Engine light came on. The speedo wouldn't work! So she replaced the VSS which she said was located on top of the rearend and fixed it and runs fine now! Im goin to change mine and see if that fixes it!
99ford4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 18:21   #5 (permalink)

Hey that's the same problem im having with my 99 Ranger 4X4 3.0, spedo is out and its not shifting on its own well, but if i shift manually it works fine,ABS O/D and check engine light are on.

Could you tell me what the VSS is so i can change it??

Any help greatly appreciated.
wwalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Unregistered

speed sensor on your rear axle
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08   #7 (permalink)

The part cost about 18 bucks in the midwest.

Took all of about 3 minutes to get the old one out and new one in. My shifting problems continued, Though not as bad as when the sensor was out. The speedo works and ABS light stays off just a continuing issue with the annoying shifting issue.

My fluids are all at the correct levels but I still get two errors on diagnostics. Have to look those up and see what they are.
Sir Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 18:29   #8 (permalink)

I have a 97 with AT and the manual specifies Mercon V fluid. I have done some searching on various forums to find out if the new multispec such as Mobil 1 would work. Numerous postings indicate using the wrong spec fluid can have pronounced effect on the shifting smoothness. Ford has done some switching around over the years on their ATF specs, so an easy first check is to make sure you have the right ATF installed.
gfcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 18:45   #9 (permalink)

Have a 2002 Ranger with a 3.0 liter V6. At about 34,000 miles the auto transmission had displayed some strange shifting problems. On the freeway, the shifts did not seem correct, and when starting out in the morning I could put it in drive and press on the gas and the engine just rev'ed and no gear. I had to let it idle for a few moments in drive so I could be sure it catches the gear. Took the car to Ford 3 times and the trans was pulled each visit. I was told by the mechanic that some problems existed with the newer 5spd auto and at least on mine, it had alot to do with a gasket and solinoid on the shifter body.
best of luck
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 14:09   #10 (permalink)

The 5speed autos are problems.And Ford Knows It.
I bought my '02 used and got the extended warrenty (vehicle had but 23k on it). Before the 90days were up (NYS lemon law)the solinoid had to be replaced. Complete teardown. I asked for some kind of warrenty on the repair (done at dealership) and got a 6 mos. (Ford will replace the solinoid and two other glitches f o c but only if you pressure them and..the fluid has been changed at the exact 30k interval)warrenty..damn if the trans didn't go south in less than 45 days.
Ford installed a new -out of the crate- tranny and so far it works infinitely better tho compared to a toyota or honda auto the thing is like something out of the 50s.
Rt2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum