2000 Ranger coolant problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:09   #1 (permalink)

2000 Ranger coolant problem

I just purchased a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4X4. After a week I started smelling coolant and found the heater hose connector on the intake leaking. While draining the coolant I notice how filthy the water was. I have worked on several vehicles in my years and have never seen one this bad. I drained on a warm engine and the water had a foam to the consistency of beaten egg whites like your mama put on her pies. The filth was orange in color (possible "stop-Leak of some sort?). I replaced the defective part, hoses, thermostat, and a new radiator. Took a garden hose and flushed the heater core through the heater hoses.
Problem.... On three different occasions the coolant builds up enough pressure to "puke" back through and out the reservoir and at one time coolant came out the tightly closed radiator cap. When hot and engine off, air bubbles will be coming through the reservoir by way of the overflow tube.
I'm almost at a lost on this one other than the possible head gasket.
Any Ideas???
Any input would be appreciated, Billy
Billy303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 11:39   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 Ranger coolant problem

It's very possible that it has a headgasket leak. Was it running hot before the flush? It could be since you just pought it that someone put a lot of stopleak in to cover up the gasket problem before getting rid of it. Also you could try to ensure there's no air pocket in the system. Remove the thermostat and run it to see where the temp goes.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07   #3 (permalink)

Temp ran normal before the flush and repairs, but only ran the truck about 200 miles from time of purchase to problem start. Actually it don't run hot now, just have to add about 3/4 gallon of water every 25 miles (more if you run the radiator cap loose).
I couldn't be 100% sure but I don't think there is an air pocket, but if there was, would it cause so much pressure as to push water back into and out of the reservoir?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:23   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

An air pocket will do that. If you remove the thermostat and fill the system with the front raised up. you can be sure to get all the air out. The Rangers usually don't have a problem with that but you never know. There's a tester for blown headgaskets. I think they run around $25. The blue turns green or yellow if there's exhaust in the system.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36   #5 (permalink)

Did the air thing twice this week, no change. Removed the thermostat, refiled and test ran the truck for 10 miles at 85 mph. The truck ran extremely cool, but upon inspection the reservoir was about 3/4 full and lots of air coming in through the overflow.
I've had it.... Got an appointment with the local FoMoCo today, Someone else needs a shot at it. Will report their findings.
Appreciate the input, Billy
Old 11-05-2009, 13:57   #6 (permalink)

Problem found.... The blue turned yellow as stated by rtg143. The work begins tomorrow by Ford Mech.

Later all,
Billy
Old 11-05-2009, 16:06   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum