2000 will not crank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47   #1 (permalink)

2000 will not crank

Well here is my problem.... My truck was running fine yesterday and today it will not start. First the syptoms, I insert the key and everything is normal. The radio works, the dome light works, the headlights work, everyting is fine. I turn the ignition to start and all my guages and lights function normally. Then I turn the key to start the truck and the starter gear engages and then everyting goes dark. Nothing. So I turn the key back to the off position and leave it in the ignition. The key reminder bell sounds four times and stops. Then a relay under the glove box makes a noise and then my reminder bell makes four sounds again and then the relay makes another sound. This process continues until I go out and move the negative cable on the battery. Second I will tell you what I have done so far. I have cleaned the battery terminals and connectors. I have put a charger on the battery but after 1 min it drops to only 5 amps. I measusered the resistance on the negative cable while moving it and it stays constant 0.4 ohms. I topped off the distilled water in my battery. I have tried starting the truck with the battery charger and still the same outcome. Does anyone have a clue as to what it could be? Does anyone have a clue as to what the relay under the glovebox would be? I do not have a chiltons manual but I guess I will be getting one soon.

Thanks

Well I think I figured it out. I took the negative side of my jumper cable and attached it to the negative side of the battery. Then I attached the other end to the post sticking out on the block. I started fine. I'm going to go buy a new cable.
Spytec128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 will not crank

Our 2000 Ranger started with a similar problem today - only the lights and gauges all remain working - no clicking, or noise of any kind - and battery is good.
(assume next step is checking starter &/or alternator.)
HoweHowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58   #3 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Re: 2000 will not crank

go out and hand spin the pullies it is tough to do but if you can hand spin them fixing has gotten cheaper.

what i suspect happened with either truck is your cps sensor failed, once this happened the oil pressure dropped because the cps drives oil pump. and no oil means dead engine. if you can hand spin the crank you engine is still good . then you need to check replace battery connection to starter or the silinoid is bad. you can play wiggle wire to the starter to see if it is the culperate. but if it causes problems once then it will agian. and better for stress purposes to replace it.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum