2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 stock brakes question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50   #1 (permalink)

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 stock brakes question

Hi gang,
I am a first time poster and user of this site so I am posting with my proverbial hat in hand and I am hoping that can use this forum to help a friend.
He is a student 18 year old Fire Explorer and has just come in to the Fire Station and told me that his "brakes went out" so he had it towed to the local ford dealership and they gave him an estimate for $3500.00! Saying that he needed a caliper and a rotor and the Power Booster was bad and had gone out.

Now, I don't dobut that he actually needs these things, I'd like to take a look at them for him and help him save some money.
I'm going to help him find the parts at a local parts house like Kragen or Auto Zone to save money on parts.

So I guess the reason for my posting is to ask for your collective expertise/knowledge and gracious suggestions.

The fact that it is a 4X4...is there anything difficult about replacing the rotors or removing the calipers?
Any special tools required?

What about the power booster?

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their comments/suggestions and responses.

Respectfully,

Tom McBride
Long Beach, CA
tommcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 13:36   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 stock brakes question

I think he got ripped!

If the brakes just "went out" then maybe the booster failed. Then when they did a brake inpection, they found it needed a brake service, but $3500.00 is a little out of hand!

The Ranger 4X4 brakes are no differant than any other vehicle.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 21:15   #3 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

$3500 is seriously out of hand, did the ranger just fall out of warranty?
the parts might be newer, a lil more rare but there still out there.
The process of instaling a new brakebooster/mst.cilender, and caliper is certanly easier then swaping out a cam for say, it just might be a lil cramped under the hood. I would at least get a quote from a brake specific shop, and take that to ford, see what they say.
and take part stores quotes for the parts that need to be replaced.
in any event if you can replace even sum of the componets this will shave money of the price of having the remaining brake job done by any shop.
Old 07-13-2006, 19:53   #4 (permalink)

Hello,No special tools are needed.The rotors float on the hubs.No bearings to pack.Brakes went out is a vague discription.Did the pedal go to the floor?Hard pedal?$3500 est. to do brakes seems out of wack.I doubt the est. was just for the brakes.When you take your vehicle to a Ford Dealer.You get a free around the wheel inspection.Tires,brake linings,battery,filters.Then you are presented with an est. to complete all repairs.You decide what gets fixed.

Good Luck
madman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum