2002 Ranger 2.3L coolant temp gage not working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48   #1 (permalink)

2002 Ranger 2.3L coolant temp gage not working

The temperature gage on the dash does not move at all. I have already replaced the two wire temp sending unit between the back of the head and the firewall. Nothing changed. I jump the two wires on the connector and the gage swings all the way to hot so the gage seems to be working and i have power in the wires. Haynes manual says the 2002 2.3L has two coolant temp sensors. The two wire sensor is for the computer (which is used to set the mixture) and the one wire sensor is for the gage. PROBLEM: using inspection mirror, flashlights and a lot of time, I can't locate the one wire sensor any where. (it's supposed to be right below the two wire sensor) second issue is: if in fact there is a second sensor why did the gage swing full range when i jumped the two wires.

Possibly an unrelated issue: car misses/skips sometimes. throwing two codes: P0125 and P0301.

P.S. I also just replaced the thermostat (whose plastic ears holding the sheet metal lip was broken)

Can't figure out what to try next? any ideas? thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 13:06   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2002 Ranger 2.3L coolant temp gage not working

Check this , might help .

" The gauge sending unit is on the metal coolant pipe on the rear passenger side of the engine. The top hose going to the radiator goes toward the back of the engine then becomes a metal pipe just as it turns to go behind the engine. After it goes behind the engine the sensor is there. Fairly hard to get to, but I think it is possible. The only way I could find it is by looking in the manual at the engine exploded view and it showed it behind the engine not far from the EGR valve.

Then the cylinder head temp sensor is right on top in the middle of the spark plugs. Fairly easy to see, but looks hard to get too and looks like something that would break easily. "
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 14:13   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Is the engine getting warm enough? Not by the gauge but real temperature? Here's a link to explain the code. OBD-II Trouble Code: P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control The P0301 is a misfire on cylinder #1.
Old 11-21-2011, 15:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dportology View Post
The temperature gage on the dash does not move at all. I have already replaced the two wire temp sending unit between the back of the head and the firewall. Nothing changed. I jump the two wires on the connector and the gage swings all the way to hot so the gage seems to be working and i have power in the wires. Haynes manual says the 2002 2.3L has two coolant temp sensors. The two wire sensor is for the computer (which is used to set the mixture) and the one wire sensor is for the gage. PROBLEM: using inspection mirror, flashlights and a lot of time, I can't locate the one wire sensor any where. (it's supposed to be right below the two wire sensor) second issue is: if in fact there is a second sensor why did the gage swing full range when i jumped the two wires.

Possibly an unrelated issue: car misses/skips sometimes. throwing two codes: P0125 and P0301.

P.S. I also just replaced the thermostat (whose plastic ears holding the sheet metal lip was broken)

Can't figure out what to try next? any ideas? thanks

i have already replaced the two wire sensor located in the metal pipe on the pax side rear between the firewall and the back of the head. Still no luck with the gage. i did cross the two terminals in the connector and got the gage to swing to full hot so i'm pretty sure that's the right sensor. As I mentioned the haynes manual states that there are two sensors located at the rear of the engine. (NOT) One is for the computer to set the fuel/air mixture the other is for the gage. I just got off the phone with the parts man at the local Ford dealer. he says there are two sensors listed for this vehicle but when he tried to trace them to an illustrated parts cat he struck out. Basically he came up with (guessed) that the head temperture sensor was being used by the computer to set the mixture and that there is not 2 sensors at the rear of the head.

as far as reaching temperature, before i replaced the thermostat there was no hot air coming out of the heater. Now car seems to reach temp and i have heat.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum