2002 Ranger brakes squeak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 14:43   #1 (permalink)

2002 Ranger brakes squeak

I replaced my front brake pads and rotors at the same time. I used that 'squeak stop' stuff for the back of the pads, and for some reason they still squeal a little when Im stopping. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem. Or why it is happening.
kluckmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2002 Ranger brakes squeak

I'd drive it a little and let them get broke in and see if it stops. What kind of pads did you use? A good set of ceramic pads would have helped a lot.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 17:01   #3 (permalink)

I just put a semi-metallic pad on. I didnt think by using an average pad it would make them squeak. There not even a week old yet. I'll keep driving it for a while in hope it will stop. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-19-2009, 21:19   #4 (permalink)

may i ask what brand and quality level.i find the lower end pads produce a lot of dust and sqeaks.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 21:33   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercougar View Post
i find the lower end pads produce a lot of dust and sqeaks.
I agree thunder. Also rough on the rotors.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21   #6 (permalink)

These are the pad I purchaed at Napa Auto Parts. Metallic Tru-Stop. Should they already be squeaking for not even being a week old? I know there not the best break pads, but could there be any other reason why they would be squeaking? It just bothers me, they are new and already annoying...ha.
Old 03-20-2009, 14:01   #7 (permalink)

They could.While NAPA is a very good brand the TS series brakes are their cheapest.I put the TS series on a Taurus.It caused a slight sqeak and still does.I just replaceed NAPA series SS brakes for the second time in less than a year and under 9xxxx miles on a Expedition.They produced a very heavy amount of dust.Upgraded to ceramic.So far so good.Personally,if you dont want to change your brakes every year,have alot of brake dust,or have rims then ceramic is the pads to go with.they are a little pricey but worth it.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03   #8 (permalink)

Ok well that sucks...I will have to get the ceramic pads soon then. Thank you for all your help with my issue.
Old 04-27-2009, 18:59   #9 (permalink)

a big reason for brake noise developing with new brakes is due to a lack of trasfer layer and or a coating on the rotors that get into the new pads. i would suggest that you take the pads off and sand them with 80 grit sand paper. also sand the rotors to. clean the rotor with some brake clean and the install the pads again. i have check Hawk Performance web site and they have a bed in procedure. try making 6 to 10 stops with moderate pressure form 30 to 0 but dont stop. then 2 to 3 hard stops from 45 to 0. then allow the system to cool. this should help the noise. the bed in procedure is the most important part of the brake change. i hope that this helps and takes care of your problem.
88poney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 17:34   #10 (permalink)

I've found that OEM pads work the best for the price.
Dr Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum