2003 Ranger 2.3L Pings Occasionally - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 18:37   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ranger 2.3L Pings Occasionally

Hello.

I'm the "proud" owner of a 2003 2.3L Ranger with 36,000 miles on it that pings occasionally on the freeway or going up a hill on the freeway. Sometimes it does and you can hear it, and sometimes it doesn't. No lights on the dash are on.

I've taken it to the dealer, and they kept it all day and made me wait around when I went in to pick it up. Needless to say, I'm sick of the dealer.

This truck has been in the shop for warrantly issues multiple times. The hose clamps blew off at 5000 miles, showering the engine compartment in orange antifreeze. I had to take it back because it was still leaking antifreeze. I guess Ford can't figure out how to put hose clamps on that are worth a damn.

Toyotas don't seem to have these problems.

I will never buy another American car or truck again. Shame on us Americans for manufacturing crap on four wheels and foisting it upon the public.

Thanks for listening to me gripe. :)
CRCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 14:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2003 Ranger 2.3L Pings Occasionally

I own a 99, and its always pinged at times. Once in awhile I will put in 89 octane, but sparingly as not to ruin the O2 sensor. I've read other replies and generally I've concluded no one really knows why, my dealer does not, my mechanic does not......I just try to use good gas, keep the fuel system clean....
tula771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 17:31   #3 (permalink)

Have you gone to the dealer about it. There may be a TSB on it. I know there is on the 2005's. I think they adjust the computer but I am not positive.
Noble Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:30   #4 (permalink)

Just bought 98 into the shop for pinging as well. The mechanic read the codes and said the code that give some hint as to the generally fuel/air mixture the engine runs at suggests that it has been wants to run to lean. They checked as the sensors and all seemed ok except there is a wire (airflow sensor?) in the intake from the air cleaner. The mechanic suspected a film of crud on that wire may cause bad readings so that sensor was cleaned and they took it for a test drive and indicated that the 'mixture' codes were now reading 6% instead of the previous 24% noted on the engine read out. Since the repair was yesterday I have not driven the car enough to subject to the conditions that generally make it ping but thought i'd share the info.
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 00:21   #5 (permalink)

it could jus be tha gas u run........cheep gas is gunna ping on a hill or sumthin.....in anything u drive cheep gas sucks...so buy the better quality gas
bagged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00   #6 (permalink)

A lot depends on the fuel you get at certain times of the year. Where I live we get the oxygenated gas in the summer. When I had my '99 3.0 Ranger it pinged like crazy, ran like crap, and nothing the dealer did lasted. I had to run at least 89 in the summers. My 4.0 is not so picky about gas.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 15:53   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's time to get a shop manual and go to town on it. I have taken it to the dealer, and they gave me some story about putting a "ping bar" on it. Total BS. This was after I first noticed the problem. Luckily, it hasn't increased in volume.

I almost always fill up with Union 76 gas, and have tried Arco and various others. The kind of gas doesn't matter, so it seems.
Old 07-05-2006, 19:04   #8 (permalink)

Now to ME it sounds like you got a lemon dude, with only 36,000 miles on it and it pings..... And another thing dont be all sounding like a comy, theres nothing wrong with american trucks. I have a 1988 ranger 2.0L 5 speed standard, shure its only got 90,000 miles on it, but its carburated and old. But the little ****er runs like a bear.
MadModderModa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 20:03   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadModderModa
Now to ME it sounds like you got a lemon dude, with only 36,000 miles on it and it pings..... And another thing dont be all sounding like a comy, theres nothing wrong with american trucks. I have a 1988 ranger 2.0L 5 speed standard, shure its only got 90,000 miles on it, but its carburated and old. But the little ****er runs like a bear.

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't tar and feather all American cars and trucks just because mine exhibits one particular problem.

Anyhow, I now have over 49 thousand on her. I just took out my Mass Airflow Sensor, and cleaned it with a spray-on cleaner. I haven't noticed anymore pinging, but I'm still keeping my ears peeled. I guess these are known to get dirty.

Other than that, she's been running good. I will make a confession at this point: I put an aftermarket reusable filter in it, and when I cleaned it the first time, I think I used too much spray-on grease. I believe this is what caused my problem. This is just a guess though, but it seems logical to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum