Ford Forums banner

3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqeaking

39K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am new here, but not new to cars and trucks.

I have had a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 litre flex fuel truck for about 8 months, it has been great and was well maintained. (automatic with OD) 100k miles

Recently, it has developed a squeak/squeeling noise.

OBVIOUSLY, I though "belts, tentioner, pully, etc..." but no.

This is an intermediate squeek that usually only happens on cold starts (Even if it is warm outside) - After about 5 minutes when the engine warms up, it usually stops.

I recently changed to the oil and there is no metal in the oil.... ALSO, the noise is comming from (it seems) the back high side of the engine, near the automatic transmission, and squeels in park, driving, idling, and revving.

I dont know that much about Fords' 3.0 litre so I wanted to ask first - Is there anything I should know about them ? Spun bearings ? Bad Seals? Tranny Front-Pump problems ? Oil pump shaft ?? Anything ? Etc... ???

After searching the net all I found was people with similar problems but no answers, only offered the "belt squeek" solution...

Like I said the engine is in great condition and has been well maintained with low-loads and oil changes, also I just replaced the belt pullys, the noise is comming from the BACK not the front.

ANY IDEAS ?

Thanks !

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I already changed the tensioner pulley (The bearing was bad and it wobbled), (and I have also heard bad alternator bearings that squeel like you said ...),

BUT, (like I said in the original post), The noise is comming from the BACK of the engine not the front.

Almost like the transmission front pump or something - it seems to be comming from around the bell housing.

All fluids are fresh and topped off,

I had even thought it might be the tranny or oil dipstick so I took em' out, nope...

(IT "Sounds" like a bad throw out bearing on the shaft / fork , but it is not a manual - it is automatic...)

So I think it 'might' have something to do with the torque converter, or front pump in the tranny ?!?! - But Im not sure why it stops after it gets warm...

Anyone know anything about the trannys ?
Thanks

#5 ·
Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqea

In case others are searching.. since this wasn't marked solved... It is most likely the cam-position sensor at the back of the motor. A cam gear runs a shaft (a lot like a distributor) that turns the sensor. Unplug the wire and remove the two bolt-head screws and replace with a new sensor $20 to $40. This sensor wears out and makes a terrible squeak. It will sound like its at the bell housing. While the engine is running... you will feel the grinding in this unit by pressing on it with your thumb. Luckily a cheap easy fix to something that sounded terminal to me!

#6 ·
Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqea

In case others are searching.. since this wasn't marked solved... It is most likely the cam-position sensor at the back of the motor. A cam gear runs a shaft (a lot like a distributor) that turns the sensor. Unplug the wire and remove the two bolt-head screws and replace with a new sensor $20 to $40. This sensor wears out and makes a terrible squeak. It will sound like its at the bell housing. While the engine is running... you will feel the grinding in this unit by pressing on it with your thumb. Luckily a cheap easy fix to something that sounded terminal to me!
Actually it's not the cam position sensor, its the synchronizer assembly that the CPS sits on that goes bad.

#8 ·

[POSSIBLE RESOVLED]

UPDATE - - - Most possible cause is listed by ' JWKO ' and a PM by ' guitodd ' .....

Although I have not comfired this (my problem went away) they both seem to be very knowledgable and have done research, and both say this is a CPS shaft (cam position sensor shaft) problem ....

Please read above for all deatails, and here is the PM from guitodd ...

"Quote"

Here is something you might want to take a look at. I had a mechanic friend take a look at the truck. He's a diesel mechanic.. but can be bought cheap with beer. The squeaking sound was intermittent for a long time and eventually got worse and was constant.

Even though it REALLY sounds like it's coming from the bell housing area.. it ended up being the cam position sensor that is mounted in the distributor hole at the back of the engine. (since these 3.0's don't use a dist.) It's a plastic sensor that mounts with two bolt-head screws and a clip on/off wiring harness and connects just like a rotor cap would to a distributor shaft. They are $20 and all the AP stores around my house carry them.

He was able to find the source with a stethoscope since the noise seemed to be amplified at the bell housing.

Not sure if we share the same problem as it seems yours went away... but if it does it again.. press your finger on the top of this sensor and you will fell the grinding going on inside if this is the issue.

A nice cheap fix..

"End Quote"

:hy:

#9 ·

Agreed. I have seen the sensor come apart and "tear" the vane on the synchronizer or vice versa. Replacement of both should correct the concern. This is an easy fix.

#11 ·
I have a 1999 4x4 ranger 3.0 flex fuel and I also have a squeaky sound. replaced the water pump and did not resolve the issue if I spray wd40 on the water pump the sound goes away. any ideals as to the problem
You might try pulling the belt, start the engine briefly and see if the sound goes away. If it does, check the belt tensioner and idler pulley.

#12 ·
Well, besides the fact that this post is like, uhmm, 8 years old.... (I originally posted this)...

Im surprised i remembered the password!!!

So anyways, im glad you said that about the wd40. Basically, over the years, I have thrown all sorts of parts at it.... Distributor, water pump, pullys, mounts, idler, belts, mounts / brackets, tried thinner syn oils, thicker oils, belt stop squeek , blah blah blah blah.

Then one day I was filling up radiator and noticed that the water on the belt stopped the squeek.

Hrmm.

So I tried belt stop squeek again. It got WORSE.

So I cleaned it off and tried water again. Lol, it stops.

Soooo

So, my educated guess after all these years is that the ALIGNMENT of pully or idler, or a mount, or the BLOCK holes and mount surface is / are milled wrong, from the factory. Period.

I beleive that the belt is on an angle to the idler pulley, and it not tracking 100% straight across.

Drip 1 drop of water on the OUTSIDE of the idler pulley and it stops for a minute. Put belt goo stop squeek (sticky that makes belt grip better) on it and it gets worse. It gets worse because it prevents the belt from easily sliding across the bad angle any more. It sticks it to the smooth side of the pulley and drags it across. It sounds terrible. Its just a bad factory design, a bad angle.

So I have over 250k miles on it. Its fine.

Dont worry about it.

So again, to anyone searching, it is the mounts or more likely the slight off angle way the block is cast and/or milled. The pulley is simple on a tiny angle and not 100% true tracking, so it squeeks across the belt.

Whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.