3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqeaking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 10:49   #1 (permalink)

3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqeaking

Hi all, I am new here, but not new to cars and trucks.

I have had a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 litre flex fuel truck for about 8 months, it has been great and was well maintained. (automatic with OD) 100k miles

Recently, it has developed a squeak/squeeling noise.

OBVIOUSLY, I though "belts, tentioner, pully, etc..." but no.

This is an intermediate squeek that usually only happens on cold starts (Even if it is warm outside) - After about 5 minutes when the engine warms up, it usually stops.

I recently changed to the oil and there is no metal in the oil.... ALSO, the noise is comming from (it seems) the back high side of the engine, near the automatic transmission, and squeels in park, driving, idling, and revving.

I dont know that much about Fords' 3.0 litre so I wanted to ask first - Is there anything I should know about them ? Spun bearings ? Bad Seals? Tranny Front-Pump problems ? Oil pump shaft ?? Anything ? Etc... ???

After searching the net all I found was people with similar problems but no answers, only offered the "belt squeek" solution...

Like I said the engine is in great condition and has been well maintained with low-loads and oil changes, also I just replaced the belt pullys, the noise is comming from the BACK not the front.

ANY IDEAS ?

Thanks !
BaLLZaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 20:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqeaking

I have a 97 blazer that was doing the same thing...I replaced the belt and the tensioner.....Turns out it was the alternator...Crazy huh...I would take the belt off and spin all the pulley's...Also check the power steering fluid and pump...Wish I could be of more help!....
ranger_guy_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 19:08   #3 (permalink)

Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqeaking

Well I already changed the tensioner pulley (The bearing was bad and it wobbled), (and I have also heard bad alternator bearings that squeel like you said ...),

BUT, (like I said in the original post), The noise is comming from the BACK of the engine not the front.

Almost like the transmission front pump or something - it seems to be comming from around the bell housing.

All fluids are fresh and topped off,

I had even thought it might be the tranny or oil dipstick so I took em' out, nope...

(IT "Sounds" like a bad throw out bearing on the shaft / fork , but it is not a manual - it is automatic...)

So I think it 'might' have something to do with the torque converter, or front pump in the tranny ?!?! - But Im not sure why it stops after it gets warm...

Anyone know anything about the trannys ?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 21:57   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2002 Ranger with the 3.0 which had the same sound. You may want to check the cam position sensor at the rear of the engine. I have gone through 2 of them so far. They cost about $200 through the dealer.
Dorf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 21:08   #5 (permalink)

Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqea

In case others are searching.. since this wasn't marked solved... It is most likely the cam-position sensor at the back of the motor. A cam gear runs a shaft (a lot like a distributor) that turns the sensor. Unplug the wire and remove the two bolt-head screws and replace with a new sensor $20 to $40. This sensor wears out and makes a terrible squeak. It will sound like its at the bell housing. While the engine is running... you will feel the grinding in this unit by pressing on it with your thumb. Luckily a cheap easy fix to something that sounded terminal to me!
guitodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 3.0 Engine noise / squeak / squeeling - 2000 Ford Ranger 3liter v6 Flex Fuel sqea

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitodd View Post
In case others are searching.. since this wasn't marked solved... It is most likely the cam-position sensor at the back of the motor. A cam gear runs a shaft (a lot like a distributor) that turns the sensor. Unplug the wire and remove the two bolt-head screws and replace with a new sensor $20 to $40. This sensor wears out and makes a terrible squeak. It will sound like its at the bell housing. While the engine is running... you will feel the grinding in this unit by pressing on it with your thumb. Luckily a cheap easy fix to something that sounded terminal to me!
Actually it's not the cam position sensor, its the synchronizer assembly that the CPS sits on that goes bad.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:17   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Actually it's not the cam position sensor, its the synchronizer assembly that the CPS sits on that goes bad.

Wow I completely even forgot I even had this problem ....
From my experience, "You have nothing to worry about, IF you take care of your truck" ...

I have put almost 50k more miles on my Ranger and forgot about the squeeling problem -
I say this because I originally thought the squeel was an oiling problem from thicker oil...
It's not life-or-death, its just annoying ...
Old 07-09-2009, 16:17   #8 (permalink)

[POSSIBLE RESOVLED]

UPDATE - - - Most possible cause is listed by ' JWKO ' and a PM by ' guitodd ' .....

Although I have not comfired this (my problem went away) they both seem to be very knowledgable and have done research, and both say this is a CPS shaft (cam position sensor shaft) problem ....

Please read above for all deatails, and here is the PM from guitodd ...

"Quote"

Here is something you might want to take a look at. I had a mechanic friend take a look at the truck. He's a diesel mechanic.. but can be bought cheap with beer. The squeaking sound was intermittent for a long time and eventually got worse and was constant.

Even though it REALLY sounds like it's coming from the bell housing area.. it ended up being the cam position sensor that is mounted in the distributor hole at the back of the engine. (since these 3.0's don't use a dist.) It's a plastic sensor that mounts with two bolt-head screws and a clip on/off wiring harness and connects just like a rotor cap would to a distributor shaft. They are $20 and all the AP stores around my house carry them.

He was able to find the source with a stethoscope since the noise seemed to be amplified at the bell housing.

Not sure if we share the same problem as it seems yours went away... but if it does it again.. press your finger on the top of this sensor and you will fell the grinding going on inside if this is the issue.

A nice cheap fix..

"End Quote"

Old 07-09-2009, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Agreed. I have seen the sensor come apart and "tear" the vane on the synchronizer or vice versa. Replacement of both should correct the concern. This is an easy fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum