Ford Forums banner

4.0 questions

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  spike6969 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Im looking to trade my car for a 96 Ranger Xlt with the 4.0L this motor will not keep it self running at all for the first 2 minutes.Then the idle will jump up and down..I can tell by looking at the egr valve that it is bad..I will idle up to 3,000rpm and then drop..It will go up and down and barley keep it self running..I guess that I'm just looking to see if anyone else has this or has had this issue..It has about 140,000 miles, Has a new clutch pressure plate and throw-outbearing and slave cylinder..does any one have any ideas about what this could be that is causing this..I really need a truck and my car runs great..I dont want to take a big loss on this..thanks for the help

#2 ·
Im sorry, I forgot to mention this is my first post here...This site looks great, I like the layout and the colors..I also have know idea how to tell if the motor has the california emissions or not..That is a big difference in the price of the parts...let me know if there is anything else that I can post to help..Thanks all.

#3 ·
You said you can tell the EGR valve is bad, replace it and see if it clears up. They can effect the way the engine runs. I would think they could tell you at the parts house how to tell if it's Calif. emissions or not. Hopefully someone here knows how to tell and will be around soon.

#4 ·
yeah it has been raining alot here..I just blew two brake lines..I have to get that fixed and the return powersteering hose..I'm haveing some one look at the truck now..working 6 days a week it is hard to get to work on something.I'm hoping when i get out of here today that the egr will be on the truck..Looks like one nut and two bolts and a vacum line.we will see how this goes...thanks..spike6969

#6 ·
yeah me to. well the egr valve didnt get installed.The EGR TUBE snapped..Does anyone know how much it is ?? I know that this is a dealer item only.looks like all the brake lins are going to get replaced.I hope the EGR valve and The Tube fix the problem..only time will tell..

#9 ·
well the idle will go up to like 3,000 rpm by itself and then come back down,..I think that you might be right about that ...The issue that Im having now is that it will barley stay running..The ilde will come down to about 600rpm and stay there just about to die...I have the EGR and the EGR Tube because it broke..I have someone working on this.He should have this done today.The brake line that I need and the EGR and EGR Tube..We will see how it runs later this evening..thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.