4X4 Hub seal "WHINING" like Grandkids! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:12   #1 (permalink)

Question 4X4 Hub seal "WHINING" like Grandkids!

I've had my 2002 Ranger Supercab XLT Off Road 3.oV6 Auto Trans Shift on fly,in Ford at lest 3 times since 2002.First they claimed it was out of balance tire!!!(WHINE??) Then they "Apparently",replaced a front left hub axle seal,which worked for a While.The sound originally only "WHINED"or Squealed",on cold driveaway ,and stopped after road driving.Now finally it seems to squeal/whine all the time at lower speed and slow speeds.These $50 deductibles{I got the Extended warranty ,and have 73000 miles on it),are "hurting me ,and without my Violin blues song,I'm tired of driving 100 mile round trips to Dealer ,AND give them ANOTHER $50 deductible!!I'd fix it myself if it weren't such a "pain" ,and because of Disability(Violin Please!),I won't do it.I do All other maintenance and would like this fixed PERMENANTLY!Is there a problem with these 4X4 hub axle seal "Quality"?In the 6 years ,since I bought this,I've put up with this "Whine/squeal!Can a Ford Engineer come up with a solution? I want to get 300000 miles on my Ranger too!I don't think I'll be able to buy a new one,so keep on ,keepin on!HELP!!!
rangerteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 4X4 Hub seal "WHINING" like Grandkids!

I can understand the frustration. It is hard to diagnose a noise on the internet. It could be brakes pads, rust on rotors, seized caliper slides, etc.

Bearings usually make a "Humming" or "Grinding" noise the increase with speed and change pitch when on a curve. I never had any problems with the hub seals.

I wish I could offer more help. You could always set an appointment with the dealer and tell them you do not want the truck until it's fixed right!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:38   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: 4X4 Hub seal "WHINING" like Grandkids!

I have had the Dealer replace the hub seal.It was quiet for a while but now is worse after several months to a year or so.Now it sometimes whines ALL the time slow and faster speeds,but today seems OK?After extensive driving it goes away.I just live way out in them thar hills,and every Dealer visit is another $50 deductible.If I keep going back for this original problem,shouldn't they "waive the deductible"?After All it's been in for this problem three or more times invoking "The Lemon Law"?Probably caused from the Record drought here in Southern California(second driest in History)!I do occasionally 4X4 it,but "gently"!Just to try it out now and then.No rough stuff.Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:11   #4 (permalink)

I think I found my solution! Looking through my "Archive" of information,I ran across TSB 01-11-4 referring to "squealing" or "whistling" noise from front axle area driving at speeds of 10-40MPH!4X4 vehicles only!Front outer halfshaft dust seals! This is EXACTLY my problem,which takes quite a bit of work if ya read the TSB!No wonder they didn't fix it properly!It requires very much diligence and care!Now that the temperature here in SoCal is in the 80's and 90 yesterday:No "Squealing" or "Whistling"!So when I take it to Dealer they think it's my TIRES! I gotta get this fixed before my extended warrasnty expires(12/07) or 75000 miles(Now 65000!) I just wish I could ensure they do it "By The Book",literally!How do I do that? Operation 011104A takes 1.2 hours basic part 3K070 condition code 42.I've had this 2002 Ranger XLT 4X4 OffRoad for 5 years and in to dealer for this problem 3 times ,at least!Lemon Law?What a Bummer! I love my Ranger but this is RIDICULOUS!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:44   #5 (permalink)

Read Re: 4X4 Hub seal "WHINING" like Grandkids!

I FOUND the TSB!TSB01-11-4 "Noise-"Squealing or "Whistling" noise from front Axle area-Driving at speeds of 10-40mph,usuallly cold! Front Outer Halfshaft Dust Seals! Exactly what my Truck was doing for the lat 3 years EXCEPT today,after a Dealer repair to seat Belt tensioner (Cleaned connections!)On the way home for the first time it "Whines at 55MPH!!Now I got 490 miles to get it "Back" to the dealer!Made an appointment for Thursday,and this Service Adviser is ALREADY trying to say:"Well my mechanic,will have to duplicate the sound and guess what to repair"!" They "can't fix the Space Shuttle either! Is it possible to have an independent repir the Halfshaft seals and or axleshaft CVs if that also is a problem? I'm gettin "Desperate here!Who can you Trust?I'd fix it myself,but from what I see in Chiltons ,on these 4X4 halfshaft,seals ,bearings,CV joints,It would NEED the Dealers tool kit! Anybody know a Honest,Reliable Dealer in SanDiego County?I think I'll move to Michigan and use my Snowmobile and take the Handicap Shuttle to appointments,and Quit Driving!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 20:48   #6 (permalink)

Now I got 400 miles left on my "Extended Warranty",on the way home from the dealer repaired a seat bet tensioner(covered by warranty$51!),second airbag/seatbelt light wiring problem!),My Squealing","Whining" Halfshaft excluder dust seals or whatever has been off and on ,"Driving Me Insane"!,On the way home from Ford Dealer "repair",it now makes a "Chirp" at 50 MPH or so ONLY after a 200 mile round trip to L.A.,driving from 2:30AM until 1PM today!Also yesterday ONLY after this dealer repaired my seatbelt tensioner!I've been "whining" for a few years here,AND ,when it was the flatratetech forum about my mysterious"Front left halshaft hub Dust seal whine squeal or whatever has been intermittent,until these past TWO DAYS,AFTER 5 YEARS!!Now it "CHIRPS" Whenever it wants too,ONLY after Driving EXTENDED miles.IT NEVER Made a "Peep" while at the dealer! I guess now that ,apparently my Extended warrant ,I paid $1000 for,and used about $400 worth,is about to expire at 75000 miles!Now at 74390 or so!All this Service advisor did was try and tell me "Oh We'll have to have a guy for$35 move the axle and "try" to repeat the noise"!VERY Frustrating after 5 years!!I was actually proud of Ford and my Truck and have taken the utmost care of it ,mostly Oil,etc.,myself!But this Dealer leaves a BAAAAAD taste in my mouth,and I don't know who to be angry at?I guess NOBODY can make a Vehicle without problems,but MAYBE,if the manufacturer would help loyal customers,they might?,be in better financial shape!Or perhaps the "burden" ,should "fall" on the dealer? ALL I know is I'm a Dissatisfied Ford Customer,Love my Ranger,Am sick of the Dealer treatment,and "Sick of this HASSLE! I'm glad my niece is invoking the "Lemon Law" ,here in Cal.,for her Focus!!She got a Lawyer and DID IT!! I didn't DEMAND ACTION,or be AGGRESSIVE Enough!Be it advised even if the Dealer Can't Duplicate the alleged problem,They gotta Do SOMETHING! Here I am now ,warranty ready to expire,intermittent "squeal"/Whine".low speed,Now,after Long Drives,high pitch 50MPH "CHIRP"!Gotta have some more Beer,the only remedy for a "Sick Ford Repair/Dealership!,AND a Sick Ex-Customer! I actually "fought Off" ,a Toyota Salesman and told him in 2001,I wanted a Ranger!Does Ford care about the "little guy"?I guess tey're "going the way",of KMART and Sears!Dinosaurs of retail!The Customer is Wrong!Back to Bikes or something,but I love my "rides",my first vehicle had less trouble,a 1957 Ford Fairlane I got in 1965 for $150!After 42 years driving,my First Ford and now maybe my LAST! I got my one "Friend and loyal companion: ICE COLD BEER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum