4x4 problems- 99 Ranger - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 09:52   #1 (permalink)

4x4 problems- 99 Ranger

99 Ranger, 145k miles, 4.0L V6 Off Road

This winter I have started having some 4x4 issues- sometimes when I turn the dial to engage from 2wd to 4wd Hi, it doesn't engage. I have noticed the problem occurs when it's really cold- usually 30 or colder outside. I have parked it inside an hour or 2 to warm the truck up & had no problems. Once it engages, it stays in till I take it out & I am able to re-engage it later that day.

Any other people had similar problems? Is it something in the switch? More than likely it's something in the tranfer case? What fixes are we looking at?

Thanks
ejg593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 17:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4x4 problems- 99 Ranger

Hey bud, I just discovered the same problem on my 2002 Ranger. I took it to the dealer and they said my motor was rusted and "might" need replacing. They quoted me $400. Kind of expensive if they werent really sure if that was the problem. I talked to a few buddies and they suggested that it could be a bad wire instead. Definitely getting a second opinion on this one. When I find out more, I'll let you know how I make out.
scrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:11   #3 (permalink)
Matt

Hey i started having the same problem with my 00 Ranger too. Still not sure what the problem is, but if you mess around with the nob a few times, it will eventually go into 4wd before heating up. But! when you're messing around with it don't leave it on 4wd before the light comes on, because both the high and low lights will flash and then you either need to wait a while for it to reset, or unhook your battery. Just keep turning it back and forth until you hear it click and the light will come on within about 5 tries.
snwbrdfrk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 20:14   #4 (permalink)

I had done some of those same "play with it till it works" type diagnostics. I did a bunch of research online & found a lot of threads w/similar problems- I guess Rangers are notorious for this. A lot of the gear-heads on these say "scrap the automatic 4x4 hubs & go for the manual hubs" which may be an option later, but I just got married, had a garage replace my fuel pump ($800+) & had Christmas & I'm not looking to dump another $500+ on my truck right now. I found several threads describing these temperature problems w/the 4x4 engaging that said it was the Control Module, which is a cheaper fix ($80-$100). I also found a few that walked me through servicing my hubs myself, incase they were just gunked up & needed cleaning. They reccommend you do that every year or so...I was a few years behind schedule.

I took apart the hubs, cleaned & lubed everything & reinstalled them. I also checked all the fuses & relays & cleaned the electric terminals on the shift motor. The past 2 days I've had no problems with my 4x4 at all. Engages & works just as good as it did this fall when temps were well above freezing.

If it does crap out on me again, I'll try changing the module, but till then, I'm staying as is. Thanks guys & good luck. I can steer you to some of those threads if you need, just let me know.
ejg593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26   #5 (permalink)
canuck

I'd be wary about TCCM's costing $80-100. A friend of mine replaced his on his '04 Durango and it ran over $600 at the dealer. You might get lucky and find one at a salvage yard for cheap though! Try driving backwards to engage the 4x4. It worked on an old F150 I used at work years ago! ...That thing was a beast.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38   #6 (permalink)
1998 Ranger

A set of Manual Hubs is about $150.00. Google up Ford Ranger manual hubs or Rugged Ridge. For 98 thru 2000, with pulse system which sucks, they are a major improvement, probably better than any of Fords systems, which are for old ladies. Try Baseline 4X4 website too. If you are a novice it should take about 2 hours to install them, getting the old parts out and removing the wheel is the hard part. If your are not gummed or rusted in it is an easy, permanent fix.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
1998 Ranger

A Transfer case Motor for a Ranger costs about $100. at AutoZone. Takes a couple hours to install. Check the wiring first. If operation is intermittent I would think the motor may be OK. There are a bunch of contacts behing the blue cover though that could "come and go" though. Did you know you can remove the motor and put it in 4WD manually with a wrench/ The case is marked (on the ones I have seen anyway) with 2WD - 4Hi and 4Low. Jack up the front AND rear and play with it, you will learn a lot.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum