4x4 and Transmission Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 10:07   #1 (permalink)

frown 4x4 and Transmission Problems

I have a 1997 Ext Cab 4x4 4.0L ranger that is giving me some problems. The check engine light is on. The gears are shifting so hard it feels like the trany is going to rip out. The truck is automatic and I had the truck checked on computer at autozone and the computer said a trany problem. I changed the trany oil and filter and the truck ran fine for a couple days and the check engine light went off. Now the light is back on and the truck is shifting so hard it kicks. I think I may be having a computer problem because when I turn the 4x4 engage knob, the truck will sometimes engage and when it does watch out. The 4x4 tries to engage but then this loud bang happens in the front end and the truck tries to engage then it pops out. After I disengage the 4x4 it sounds like a grinding noise going on in my hubs. Can anybody please give me some info on these two major problems...
smokeater3194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 04:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4x4 and Transmission Problems

i have a 97 ranger ext. cab 4x4 4.0. i am having the first problem the tranny is sloppy shifting hard, shifts first,second,first....when i come to a stop light low rpms. put your foot down it kicks right out of what ever gear. no overdrive off now. i thought it mite be the ecm(computer) but ford said it sounds like a pressure problem. bad torque converter. good luck it's not easy
baggins920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 4x4 and Transmission Problems

I'd get the exact codes that were pulled from the vehicle. Each code pinpoints a certain area and to each code, there can be anywhere from one to many possible solutions to resolve the problem. Worst case scenario is the TC in the trans or the TC and trans are both on their way out. The transfer case is like a transmission in its own right. I know on manual versions there are forks that move the system/gear to engage both axles. If any one of the forks break it can cause internal problems and eventually failure. Make sure transfer case fluid is clean and free of any debris. A visual inspection will be your best bet here to make sure it's intact and it's the vehicle transmission that's causing the problem. Any transmission lasts approx 8-14years providing it was properly maintained. Irregardless of mileage, if the vehicle isn't driven periodically for a long distance, that can cause problems as well in the long term. Get the codes checked again and write them down. They will help pinpoint the cause of the problem. It might even be something as simple as having to replace a solenoid....
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum