5 speed manual tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 11:01   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 5 speed manual tranny

Hey guys,

I was out tootling about yesterday midday doing errands such as getting the truck's emissions tested (92 Ranger extended cab w/ 4.0L V-6 with manual).

The truck did pass the emissions with flying colors btw but at one point, as I was shifting up a gear, the transmission did an odd click or something like that while shifting. The rest of the day had me working it to get the tranny into either first or second gears. Finally I'd have to move the lever to the right in the neutral mode before slipping it back into gear without issues generally.

When my best friend sold me the truck, he had warned me that it occasionally will do this but issue yesterday was worse. The clutch is new and I've also found that if I push the pedal just a tad further down, like mashing it into the floor, I can then slip it into 1rst easier, but after that incident described above, that didn't help. Once in gear, it does fine.

The truck has 188K+ miles on it and is in excellent shape btw.

This is not my first high mileaged car. Both of my Hondas were high mileage as well and both had 5 speeds and even they got somewhat notchy over time. Both had over 180K miles on the clock.

Any ideas???
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 18:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: 5 speed manual tranny

Hi,
My honda does that once in a while. I had the trans flushed and filter changed and put sythentic trans fuild in, and has been fine. I haven't driven that far yet to really be sure though.
Its a thought, it could also be a sensor? I'm not to familiar with fords yet...
Good luck!
pobrien904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 19:41   #3 (permalink)

I had an 86 that acted the same way. Took it to the tranny shop and they replaced the gear shifter and they also said that that the syncronizer for first and second gear had slipped out of place. After that no more problems. Sounds like the symptoms that I had and I think the whole thing was about $135 back in 2000.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 22:31   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo
I had an 86 that acted the same way. Took it to the tranny shop and they replaced the gear shifter and they also said that that the syncronizer for first and second gear had slipped out of place. After that no more problems. Sounds like the symptoms that I had and I think the whole thing was about $135 back in 2000.
Thanks for that. That's kind of what I thought as well. Seems the problem comes and goes as when I've been out for not long, things are better but still not perfect and sometimes gets worse as the truck warms up.

Probably should at some point change the fluid in the tranny just to be safe.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum