5 speed swap in 99 ranger?s - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 20:24   #1 (permalink)

5 speed swap in 99 ranger?s

Ok I have a 99 ranger with the 3.0 and 4r44e tranny. The tranny is slipping real bad and don't really want to re build it. What year 3.0 rangers can I pull a 5 speed from and do the swap? What all do I need?
92stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 07:02   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 5 speed swap in 99 ranger?s

The 4R44E was used from 1995-2000, the manual version was a Mazda M50D-R1. It used a hydraulic clutch and it had a few issues.
"
The hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder/throwout bearing is another item you should pay close attention to. After time, the slave cylinder fails to release the clutch completely. If you are having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse while stationary or if your truck creeps forward with the clutch pedal depressed the slave cylinder/throwout bearing is probably at fault. Unfortunately there is no easy fix here as the transmission must be removed to replace the combination slave cylinder and throwout bearing." (from TheRangerStation.com)

Things to consider:
Back up lights: on the older full sized, the backup switch is in the column and with the manual, it's on the transmission, easy correction, but frustrating if you don't know this fact.
PCM: OBD II pulls in a lot more data, you may have to swap out the PCM, and it may only be a case of not connecting wires. There is a safety switch that ties into the clutch that provides feedback to the PCM.

Best recommendation: find a Ford\Mazda Ranger\B3000 or Explorer with a 5-spd and strip it. You might want to check to see if there's a difference in the PCMs, if not, remember to get what ever they used to get any feedback (if any) from the transmission.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43   #3 (permalink)

Ok well that makes no sense cause I'm bring told that the only 4r44r I can use Is one from 99-2000 ranger
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I didn't dig that deep. Ford id notorious for changing things from year to year, that makes previous years incompatible, even though the specs look the same. It took me a few weeks to figure out that 91 was a split year for the Mustangs PCM. The wiring harnesses are completely different and generally if you look up a 1991 pinout, you get the 87-91. Even though mine's a 1991, I have to look up the 1992-1994. If you have time to let the truck sit, changing over to a manual 5 speed without a donor, you may find hurtles. The best way to ensure a quick changeover is to find a compatible donor and rob off it what you need and either part out or junk the rest. PCM's have put a game change on altering you vehicles configuration.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43   #5 (permalink)

So it would be best to find a 99-2000 ranger 3.0 4x4 with 5speed and do it that away. Do u know if the explorer 5.0 came with a 5speed later on I'm going to do a 5.0 swap but still want 5speed.
Old 08-19-2012, 13:00   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I couldn't find any evidence of an 5.0 Explorer with a 5 speed.
Old 08-20-2012, 19:28   #7 (permalink)

So would it be even possibal? Would a T5 work since its bolted to a mustang 5.0?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Here's the bottom line: you can make anything work if you try hard enough. We once took a transmission and modified the input shaft so we could mount it to an old Ford Y block. The tranny to the Ford blewand cracked the housing, couldn't find a replacement and the slant 6 tranny have the same bolt pattern on the bell housing. Where it get's tricky is meeting your state emission laws. Your Ranger falls under the years emissions testing is required by at least most states that test. In the lovely NY state (where I'm at), a code is a code regardless of source. The T-5 was used as late as 2009, so, yes it can be used on a 5.0, but you'll probably need to do a bell housing swap. But, since you have an automatic, you'll have to figure out how to convince the PCM that it's now has a manual transmission.
Old 08-21-2012, 16:53   #9 (permalink)

Ok well I live in Indianapolis in we don't have emmisons testing here. But from what I have heard it will be all states that require it and u can't swap motors at all other than what it came with from the factory. That what they r pushin for now.
Old 08-21-2012, 17:34   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Hey, go for it. That's why I have a '73 Ranger. I'm exempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum