80 ranger 302 5.0 overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21   #1 (permalink)

confused 80 ranger 302 5.0 overheating

I have a 1980 Ford Ranger 302 5.0L it started over heating and spewing antifreeze all over the engine. I changed the thermostat and also I changed the water pump. If I leave the truck running it is ok, but as soon as I put it in gear and drive maybe half a mile down the road I hear a boiling sound, and the engine and all the radiator hoses are very hot. Please help with some suggestions
dean35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: 80 ranger 302 5.0 overheating

lol if u got the wp and the thermostat all thats left is the water outlet, and the radiator itself, heres what i would do, wait til saturday or a day off, go to autozone r eddys autoparts r w/e get sum "hyperlube" radiator cooler treatment stuff really works up to 20 degres, i run 50/50 that and i chill at 160F idle aftermarket head temp gauge,
u need to cool it down bro big time
next enshure that ur fan is spining, r urs is proly a belt
flush and fil that radiator a couple times, and last go get a beer, turn on the radio chiill and take the radiator off, then vigrousley with ur garden hose force water into each hole there is, then drain it and force it back out, watch how much shit comes out, last go to the car wash, let ur car get cool reallly cool, then cover ur distrubitor with a trash bag r sumthing and proly wnana cover ur starter if u can, and blow the pressure hose they have blow clean water right through the radiator fins be shure and get as much area as u can
if ur stil overheating then ur radiator gota be fuked or sumthing collapsed blocking water flow
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 20:16   #3 (permalink)

Keep it simpler than that. Go to the parts store and get some coolant flush. People can say what they want, but blasting water will never work as good as a chemical compound that will actually break down rust buildup. You can get some coolant flush that you pour into your radiator, let it idle for fifteen minutes, then flush the system entirely.

I install a Prestone Flush 'N Fill kit in every vehicle I own- it makes flushing SO much easier (only takes ten minutes, max) than the old way. It's $2.99 and an extremely easy installation.

Flush the system before you do anything else for diagnostics. At least then, you'll know that there's no junk in your system hampering anything else you try.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

tru dat but u never took ur raditor off and just filled it up and drained it turnign it which ever way u want and see everything that comes out?
but uh a chemical flush would do it, internaly, but yo meat i saw my temp drop 13 degres blasting water through the fins and the radiator if i used chemical to flush u think i could drop another 5 degres?
Old 10-14-2005, 19:04   #5 (permalink)

head gasket was blown.
dean35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 23:13   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

nice! did it sound a lil funny, maybe like tons of air was being blown out?
now that ur this deep go get sum hi performance parts yo make that ranger scream!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum