86' Ranger 2.3> squealing noises as wheels turn??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

Garage
86' Ranger 2.3> squealing noises as wheels turn???

I have a 1986 Ford Ranger 2.3, 5-speed, 2 wheel drive. I had new tires and brakes installed about three years ago.

Most recently, while driving around town, I’ve noticed a squealing, squeaking kind of noise that continues until I stop the truck.

My brakes seem to be fine, and stop me when I need to. I don’t do much driving these past three years, so the last thing I would suspect would be worn brake pads.

Question: Do wheel cylinders or rotors make these continuous squeaking noises? I would like to be prepared with a little bit of knowledge before I get any bad news. I don’t know if this is something I could wait on, or if this problem will manifest itself with a BIGGER, MORE DANGEROUS problem on the road.

After I hear from a few possible ideas on what this could be, I will take the truck back to the place I purchased the tires and have them look at the drums, while they rotate the tires. Thanks!
Bozo4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 86' Ranger 2.3> squealing noises as wheels turn???

Some brake pads have sensors on them and when they get worn pretty low, the sensor rides on the rotor and makes a noise. Raise it up and turn the wheels to see where it's coming drom. There could be other problems but you'l have to raise it and investigate.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 86' Ranger 2.3> Rubbing noises as wheels turns???

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your reply. I did call the place I had my brakes done about 6 years ago,and he told me there were no sensors in my rear rotors, and the sound could be the rear brake shoes.

...But after driving around last night, I want to change my symptoms from squealing noises to a rubbing kind of noise. When I slow down or speed up, the corresponding noises seems to go faster or slower with my speed of the tires,if that makes sense.

So it seems to be more of a rubbing,and not grinding or squealing noise. I still want to get my tires rotated, so I'll have the guy drive it in the lot and see what he thinks.

Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your reply. I did call the place I had my brakes done about 6 years ago,and he told me there were no sensors in my rear rotors, and the sound could be the rear brake shoes.

...But after driving around last night, I want to change my symptoms from squealing noises to a rubbing kind of noise. When I slow down or speed up, the corresponding noises seems to go faster or slower with my speed of the tires,if that makes sense.

So it seems to be more of a rubbing,and not grinding or squealing noise. I still want to get my tires rotated, so I'll have the guy drive it in the lot and see what he thinks.

And since it's been about 6 years since my last brake job, maybe I'm hearing the pads or shoes,but would'nt i just hear that when I apply the brakes, which still work pretty good,except my emergency brake,which is hard to engage and disengage. maybe time for new brakes.
Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:26   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

From what you say " my emergency brake,which is hard to engage and disengage " it could be the parking brake cable or linkage sticking .Could also be wheel cyl . sticking . Best to get drums off and get it checked out .

p.s

Happy new year and all the best for 2011.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 00:28   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 86' Ranger 2.3> squealing noises as wheels turn???

The noise and squealing suddenly stopped on it's own.
But since it had been six years since my brakes were done last, I went to get my tires rotated and had them check the drums. On right passenger rear, he noticed a flat fork looking piece of metal he said was loose and not attached to anything. Also, the rear left wheel cylinder was starting to leak brake fluid. So I bought a new kit, and he did both drums. he said the emergency foot brake's cable might have to be replaced,when I do the front brakes, which are low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum