86' Ranger cutting out!!! Fuel ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 19:20   #1 (permalink)

Garage
frown 86' Ranger cutting out!!! Fuel ?

I have a 1986 Ford ranger / 4 Cyl. / 2.3 / EFI / Manual 5-Speed // Original owner

Hey all!
Well, finally an update.
I took it in to the shop to have them take a look at it. I almost did not make to him in morning traffic, I had to continue to keep the RPMs up, before it had a chance to die out. It must have shut down about five times on my way there. So lucky for me this problem happen on the way to, and while he drove it for a test drive.

Since I’ve never replaced the fuel pump on this 26 year old ranger, I thought it best to do so now. I knew it might not fix my problem, but have to start somewhere. They also removed, and cleaned the Air Idle control (attached to the air filter box) I had previously done this about three months ago. Another thing he did was to increase the idle at the Throttle linkage. They found metal bits in the fuel filter which he suggested that the fuel pump was breaking down.

He test drove it again and said it was running with a little more power. I agreed. BUT now it’s still intermittent and some days it just dogs out with no power.

I did buy a fuel pressure regulator from autozone ($20.00) but have not put that in yet, thinking this may also not fix the problem. Besides, I don’t have that special handy-dandy allen tool to get back at the third screw closest to the injector fuel rod. I can remove the two fronts, but it’s a bear trying to get clearance to un-loosen that back screw. I can use the allen tool, but I can only move a few micrometers at a time, which would take quite a while.

So regardless of this recent work being done, this truck still wants to conk out now and then, and I don’t have a clue what causing it.

Another thing I still need help with, if someone who presently has a 1986 2.3 gas ranger, and can find the time to remove the plastic cover housing over the relays on the passenger side fender wall, look at the harness that come into the (Female) BROWN RELAY from the wire bundle.

(ECM Pigtail connector coming from the wire bundle harness CONNECTS to a Black Top, Whitish/Grey bottom SWITCH RELAYS – Male spades)

I have been getting conflicting messages as to how to connect the pigtail to the new 4 wire switch. What I am seeing now is the big striped wire is going into the middle or second position on the brown relay BUT the new relay had it’s big striped wire going into the bottom or third position on that 3 spade row.

(BROWN IS ECM RELAY, AND GREEN WAS USED FOR FUEL RELAY ….There should only be FOUR wires each on both relays)
I have photos attached in previous posts. The truck starts, so this relay is not the problem, but it’s so corroded, I feel as I should replace it anyway.

Thanks for any help or ideas to shorten my list of potential problem causing parts !
Bozo4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 10:26   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 86' Ranger cutting out!!! Fuel ?

Hi,
With over 160,000 miles on the this 26 year old antique, there are no scheduled maintenance. I try to replace plugs and wires every few years, if needed. Air filter, gas cap, water cap, clean AIC valve, which so far, has never been replaced. The cap and rotor.
Fuel pressure regulator ~ I had to remove the distributor cap and rotor to get a hold of that back allen screw. It took me forever, but trying my patience every step of the way, I did it. I did not have any light oil to put on the gasket, but hopefully it helped replacing it, since it’s never been done before.

I also replaced the relays. The 4 pigtail wires exactly the way the OEM comes out of the harness, regardless of the BIG FAT striped wire going into the wrong spade location as the OEM. (I think I have photos posted in previous posts here)

It runs. I can, and will not say for the better, but so far, it hasn’t stalled the few times I went down the street for a test drive...(or blew a fuse, because of the way the relay could have been wired wrong)

The rotor had a little carbon on top, that, and the cap has not been replaced since about four years ago, same with spark plugs. I usually replace air filter every other test only smog test. The spark plug wires, well not so often. I would hate to have to replace my TFI module again after four times in the life of the truck.

I don’t want to be negative, but I’m thinking I’m not completely out of the woods just yet. That in-line reservoir might be the next thing, along with cleaning or replacing my injectors, they might be dirty.

The recent relay TOP SWITCH, I just replaced was Black top connected to a white bottom, which plugs into the OEM BROWN Harness (Must be ECM, or ECC Relay) The other switch I replaced last year was a Black top connected to a white bottom, that connects to a GREEN OEM pigtail harness, which should be the FUEL RELAY.

THX
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58   #3 (permalink)

Garage

1986 Ranger / 2.3 Gas EFI / 5-Speed / SOHC / 4-Cyl.

Ok, I replaced the 4 wires exactly the way they were coming out of the harness and into the new switch. So far,so good, with no burnt fuses. Truck still stalling after starting engine.

Well, I just replaced cap and rotor, and at first it seemed to have a little pep when starting the engine, but after trying to replace the plastic cover back over my relays as the engine was running, it’s pretty much back to stalling a few times before the engine stays at an idle.

Last week, I had removed the plastic shroud cover protecting my AIC, and relays, and other stuff attached to my passengers side fender wall, until I was sure after I re-wired the new pigtail to relay switch, to make sure it did not blow a fuse from mis-wiring the four wires from the harness to the switch. (previous posts)

Funny thing, though. Yesterday, as the engine was running, I tried to carefully place that plastic cover of back over those relays, and at first, suddenly, the engine revved up a little higher idle, then I tried to feel around for any lose connections, but that did not yield any suspects. I continued to move around the cover to see if it would do this again, but this time, the engine just stalled out. So now I’m thinking there could be a short somewhere in this area, when the plastic piece touched something…..But what could that? Any ideas?
Thanks yet again for any and all replies
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Switch the relays and see if the problem changes.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:21   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Hey Bert,
Are you telling me I could switch the ECC top switch relay on the pigtail from the harness, with the FUEL top switch relay from that other four wire harness? Would anything bad happen? I don't think I've ever crossed these two relays before. The shorting out maybe caused by a blk case attached directly to the fender with two sets of wires coming out of it.

I could post photo of this area if needed, I may already took a photo of this area from my album. Thx!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-19-12PlasticCoveroverrelays.jpg (101.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7-19-12attached to fenderwell.jpg (59.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7-19-12PasssideWires.jpg (67.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg relays 7-19-12.jpg (92.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:47   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Sunday 7-22-12 ~ Here is an update to what’s been going on with my truck. I turn the key over; it tries to start, but stalls. The second try it usually starts right up, but then I smell the strong smell of gas.

I popped the hood then looked at the fuel pressure regulator that I just put in two weeks ago, and did not see any leaking wet fuel, and the vac line also did not have any visible wet gas in the line.

What do you think that is when it first stalls out, then second time starts up, then strong odor of gas?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It doesn't take much fuel to cause an odor. It could be any number of things not even related to the stalling. I'm pretty sure the relays are the same. They should have some numbers on them to be sure. If you replaced them before, they'd probably be okay but you never know. When it stalls, does it start right back up? Check the vacuum reading and see what you get.

You can see the wiring diagrams here. Fig, #17 is for the main system. | Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Hey bert,
yes, after the first initial turning of the ignition, it cranks over, then stalls. After the second try, it does start up. But this happens all the time,...when it sits overnight, or when I drive it to the store, then about 30 minutes later it does the same thing again. My friend smelled the gas, and she was about 20 feet away, so it's pretty strong.

It may be a return fuel line not fully connected, or clogged,which I will look at. As far as codes, I don't know anything about how to read them, but thank you!
Old 07-22-2012, 13:42   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Fuel Injection Technical Library How To Run a Self-Test
Old 07-29-2012, 17:32   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the link, Bert.

For the self test, I don;t have any of those items, not even any wire. The link talked about mustang engines, are they the same as Ranger / Bronco for the 1986 year? I think maybe my self test 6 plug and the single might be over on my passenger's side somewhere.

UPDATE July 29th, 2012

For the last ten times when I started the truck, it has been starting right up without stalling like it did before, I also do not smell the strong odor of gas.....So now what? What could cause this intermittent starting or stalling, then seems normal again? I know it could be Anything? thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum