Ford Forums banner

86' Ranger Turn signal switch on column broken

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bascobunch 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1986 Ranger, 4 Cylinder 2.3, 5-speed.
My mechanism for the turn signals on my steering column is broken. Not only is the handle broken off, but I have to either lift up and keep lifting for right turn, or push down and keep it pushed down for a left turn. This is getting old.

Question ~ Is this a do-it-yourself repair, or do I go to Ford dealership and be forced to pay the exorbitant amount of senseless money to have this repaired? If the answer is the latter, then I will be stuck with it. Thanks!

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I should have called FORD parts before I posted this post.

A local Ford dealer no longer carries this part. I called All Ford parts (Dismantling yard) and they wanted $49.00 for a used part.

I then called AUTOZONE and the same part was $29.00 OEM. They can order it the same day.

That Ford dismantling yard told me I would be sorry buying a OEM part??? Why? And autozone told me this OEM part is possibly the same people who made it for FORD in the first place.(maybe)

Thanks again!

#6 ·
I removed two screws from the plastic steering top and bottom cover.
I noticed two metal (I hope they are not plastic, otherwise they will break with the force I'm using trying to remove the harnesses) clips holding the electrical harness on the top and bottom.

Will these clips break? Do I lift up the clip as far as I can,while using needle nose or channel locks to grasp the black wiring harness plug-in and pull it off?

I'm also trying to remove the metal turn signal arm. There is a pin, but it doesn't release the arm.

Thanks for any insight help to remove this turn signal and replace it with an OEM.

Attachments

#8 ·
I did it! I replaced my turn signal switch…… No easy task, unless I was a ford mechanic with all the right tools!!!

I disconnected the battery to be safe.

There are two lock down plastic tabs on each of the two wiring harnesses going into the switch.
On the Top harness,
Top lock down is visible, and the other is underneath the same piece.

On the bottom harness,
You can see the one from underneath, but there is one more hidden inside of a narrow well on the underside of this peice...GOOD LUCK with that one, I had to break that tab to be able to remove this bottom harness.

The switch part number is the Autozone Duralast UDS425 Combination Switch.

I also removed my old arm out of the switch which was just the metal rod, because my lever handle broke off some years ago.

Ford can get this arm/rod, but it would cost $20.00. Does anyone know where to get the arm lever cheaper than 20.00? I already called Autozone and Pep Boys, and no luck. Thanks and good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.