87 Ranger "Diagnostics"? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57   #1 (permalink)

87 Ranger "Diagnostics"?

My neighbor has a 87 Ranger ,details unknown,but asked me :"What Computer to read her codes"?,"Now,I came up with several ideas(LOL!)Does the "Older Ranger" ,use the "Flashing Engine light codes? I have an 02 Ranger 3.0 V6 with 75000,and am shopping for a OBD2 code reader for mine.What do "They" use on the "Older" Rangers? In my RV/Trailer Park there is at least a Dozen Ford Rangers.I want one of the Code readers for my 02 ,and understand the OBD2 ,can be used also on other makes?I saw a Code Scanner that was "Ford Specific" ,does it matter? Thanks for any input.
rangerteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 17:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: 87 Ranger "Diagnostics"?

Ford Specific will only work on a ford, if buying a OBD2 reader that will read all makes make sure it will read manufacurer specific codes as well as generic, the ones that only read generic codes will get you in the ballpark, but can still leave you somewhat in the dark as some generic codes will not apply to all vehicles. For around $150-$200 you can get a decent readeer with software and USB cable to download updates. 87 model will flash codes through the "check engine" light. some models require a jumper to be placed in the reader hook up, check repair manual for that model.
mtneer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum