88 Ranger cluncking at tranny! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 19:43   #1 (permalink)

88 Ranger cluncking at tranny!

Where the tranny bellhousing meets up with the engine is making a clunking sound. It only happens when Ive been driving for a long time or the engien gets really hot, there is also an engien oil leak coming from the top of the tranny and coming down. Now I think that the clunking has to do with that but I dont know. Either way it has something to do with the drive train, the trucks engien is in great shape, (91,000 mi) but its had 5 different driver since 1988 so its something with the oil leak and drive train. Help is needed!!!

88 2.0L 5 speed standard.
MadModderModa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: 88 Ranger cluncking at tranny!

didnt u say just a while ago a shop changed out your clutch? clanking could be loose bolts.... oil leak could be from sumthign or another they had to disconnect to get the job done, or its a good sign of shitty work, or it just started leaking, or they messed sumthign else up.....
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45   #3 (permalink)
Thomas

ok the oil leak sounds like the rear main seal is out and the clunking could be your ring gear in the rear axle eventhough it sounds like it coming from the bell housing it maybe coming from elsewhere
thomas04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

The oil pan gasket can also leak in the rear and look like a seal leak.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 19:14   #5 (permalink)

Thanx for the input guys, actually I had them check the clutch and they said it was fine. I am planning on calling the shop this week and asking them how much it will be to drop the tranny so they can find whats wrong. The ring gear cant be the case cuz Ide hear it from the rear of the truck, no the sound is right where the tranny meats the engien. I checked the differentail when I changed the fluid about a year ago and nothing in it is ****ed up. More input is always help full.
MadModderModa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

again if they just changed out the clutch, and it was not leaking before,and now it is leaking from inside/outside the trans, and if its clanking but wasent before, you should not have to pay a pennie to fix the problem .

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum