88 ranger Fuel problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 14:22   #1 (permalink)

88 ranger Fuel problem

Here's the deal with my 88 Ford ranger, 2.3l four banger.
We can't hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on. We unplugged a connector that is above the gas tank and checked to see if there is any power, there is not. So we're assuming that it is the fuse link, or relay or whatever, but we don't know where that is. The owner manual says its location is: "Starter Relay", so we're still lost on where that is. Does anyone know and could explain??Or maybe our diagnosis wasn't good....???
dnthmn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 15:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 88 ranger Fuel problem

Check for this: there is a fuel cut-off switch that turns off the fuel flow in the event of an accident. It is triggered by inertia, in other words a sudden movement of the vehicle unlike the normal movements of driving. It may trigger in a minor fender-bender accident or even can even be triggered by someone "bumping" the truck in the parking lot. My '86 this was located on the firewall beneath the dash and my '02 it is located in the engine compartment. Check your owners manual but I am willing to bet it is like my '86. It is right above the transmission hump and just a little to the passenger side-about where his left foot goes. Mine was partially covered by the floor mat.
jimbot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 14:50   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: 88 ranger Fuel problem

Thanks for the idea, i went to see if it had been tripped, it hadn't. Here is the new diagnosis. I found that it has 2 fuel pumps, one in and one out of the fuel tank. I checked the wires that plug into that the pumps(on both) and neither have power. I found the fuse links, they are fine, so i dunno why there isn't power to the fuel pumps when the ignition is on. They aren't sending fuel to the engine. What now?? Help!
Old 12-08-2008, 19:31   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: 88 ranger Fuel problem

It fixed itself by the way. We were testing the wiring after finding the fuse link, and it randomly started and has been running for a week now....
Old 12-10-2008, 23:46   #5 (permalink)

Yes, they do have two fuel pumps: The one in the tank is a low pressure pump. It's main job is to deliver a steady flow of fuel up to the other pump, which is a high pressure pump, This pump then delivers pressurized fuel to the fuel rail and the injectors. The problem with testing for power at the pumps is the fact that when you turn on the key, the normal operation is for the pumps to run a few seconds to pressurize the system and then stop until the engine is started. The pumps do not continue to run while the key is on and engine is not running. In fact, the recommended procedure if you run out of fuel is to turn the key on and off for several cycles as one cycle may not be enough to purge the system of air and charge it with fuel. You should be able to hear the in-line pump when your turn the key on and to check if the in-tank, you open the gas cap and have someone turn on the key while putting your ear to the filler spout and listening for its whirring.

As to why it suddenly started working again is odd and I hope that your problem does not return.
jimbot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 16:03   #6 (permalink)

Fuel Pump Problem Returned

My fuel pump quit working again when I was backing into a parking spot.!!!! Luckily it was down hill and I rolled into it.

Can the inertia switch cause intermittent problems?? And could one bypass that switch.......Any other suggestions??
Old 12-19-2008, 19:56   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Not sure if your vehicle has it or not, but on some Fords there is a small ground wire coming off the battery. If you loose this connection.... no fuel pump.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum