89 Ranger - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 19:10   #1 (permalink)

confused 89 Ranger

Well I posted a thread a while ago about my truck.. I changed the timing belt/water pump/etc and ever since it hasnt been running right. I did replace the crankshaft sensor as well because i messed it up when i changed the timing belt. I thought it was the alternator because if I unplugged it it would run fine (I figured something was wrong with the regulator or something. So I replaced it but it didnt make a difference. I just ran a wire straight from the alternator to the battery (I did connect the wire coming from the regulator so it would charge) thinking if there was a short somewhere i'd be able to fix it by bypassing the original wires but it did the same thing. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance. This truck has been sitting for over a year because its like 45 mins away from me but I go out when I can and try to figure it out but I am stuck and I would really like to get it back on the road. I have checked the timing like 3-4 times by taking it all back apart and looking at it (I dont have a timing light but i checked it by the marks), but I dont see why if the timing was off it would run fine without the alternator hooked up? I do remember that I didnt know exactly where to set the oil pump though, I think I set it straight up if I remember right... but it kind of sounds like the timing is out when I try to start it, it sounds like its firing before its supposed to but I checked it and its right on.. but I just dont understand why it would run fine without the alternator.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I can have family that lives there check anything you need or try anything. Thanks

Last edited by alden92; 05-12-2012 at 23:39. Reason: added more info
alden92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 23:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: 89 Ranger

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference.. But I have the ignition wired to a switch because the previous owner lost her keys and tore the ignition out of the column (she tore it up so bad I couldnt put a new ignition in it and I got tired of using a screwdriver)..
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55   #3 (permalink)

I'm still stumped here.. I took it all back apart today to make sure the timing was right, and it is dead on. But now after I put it all back together the starter just sits and spins unless I get out and rotate the motor over by hand then sometimes it will turn over the motor.. I havent looked much into that yet. But i'm still more concerned about the motor not running right. It smells like theres gas coming out the exhaust if I have the alternator plugged in, but it runs fine and smells better when its unplugged for some reason.. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2012, 19:49   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Run this and see what comes up. Fuel Injection Technical Library How To Run a Self-Test
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42   #5 (permalink)

ok. I got the codes (going to go double check them in a minute).
The KOEO code was 34
The CM Codes were 41, 18, 34, 88.

I looked them up but I have no clue what it means I would have to do to fix it.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Code 34-EGR valve position (EVP) sensor was above 0.65 volts when the ECA commanded the EGR to close. PCM pin #27, wire color is BR-LG.
Maybe the EGR is stuck open.

Code 41-Heated exhaust gas oxygen (HEGO) sensor shows a lean mixture when the self test commanded rich. PCM pin #29, wire color is DG-PL.
Possibly from the EGR

Code 88-Dual plug inhibit control signal had no effect on firing both spark plugs. PCM pin #32, wire color is grey-OR.
Get the EGR fixed first.

Code 18-Ignition diagnostic monitor signal (IDM) was missing with the engine running or the electronic spark timing signal (SPOUT) was grounded. IDM PCM pin #4, wire color is BK-YL, SPOUT PCM pin #36, wire color is YL-LG.
The computer sends out a timing advance correction to the ICM over the SPOUT wire and then looks for the change on the IDM wire.

IDM - Ignition Diagnostic Monitor
SPOUT - Spark Output Signal from EEC/PCM
ICM - Ignition Control Module

You might check the ECT or the IAT sensor for your problem.
Also check the SPOUT/IDM wire going to ground.

ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and it has two wires on it.
IAT - Intake Air Temp

IDM (feedback) is a Dark Green with a Yellow stripe wire on the distributor connector.

IDM is pin 4 on the 60 pin ECM connector.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05   #7 (permalink)

I got 1 of the codes mixed up. It is supposed to be 14 not 41.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Code 14-Crank reference, PIP, was erratic with the engine running in normal operation.
Looks like the problem is in the crank sensor circuit.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Checked the alternator charging rate ? If over charging can cook battery giving off a bad smell and playing all sorts of tricks with electrics / circuits etc .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03   #10 (permalink)

I changed the crankshaft sensor when i did the timing belt. So what else could be causing that code for the crank reference code?... And we did check the alternator a couple weeks ago, i believe it was 20 amps, but i may not be remembering right..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum