90 4.0 Ranger vibration problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:55   #1 (permalink)

90 4.0 Ranger vibration problems

I have a 90 Ford Ranger, and I have been getting vibration problems for a while now. I just replaced all 4 tires, and that took care of a lot of the problem, but not all of it.

The vibration seems to be present as low as 30 mph, but it gets worse with speed, and it's usually the worst around 55-60. However, above 60, it seems to get better. It's nothing major, but there is something going on. I am led to believe that it could be the driveshaft, but most of the stuff looks good under there. My carrier bearing, between the front and rear U-joints and in the middle of the driveshaft, seems to be moving more than I would expect, so that could be the issue.

If anyone has any experience in this, please help me out! Thanks.
d1353l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: 90 4.0 Ranger vibration problems

My 2003 3.0L Ranger does the same thing. The dealership says they can't feel the vibration. There is a big problem and they don't what have to fix it.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:51   #3 (permalink)

I had a mechanic look at my truck, and the rear axle bearing was bad, which is what was causing the vibration, they told me. However, after they replaced it, I was told by other people that axle bearings just make noise, not vibration. However, they also replaced my universal joints, and there is a noticeable difference now. The low-pitch rumble is gone, and the vibration has improved, but is still present.

Between 50-60 it is definitely there mostly all the time. 65-75 it seems to subside, and the highway ride is the best at these speeds. However, above 75 the vibration is very bad, and the entire cab shakes.

Everyone keeps telling me it's tires, but I"ve had them balanced a bunch. Here are the possibilities I've come up with thus far:

1) Get a dynamic wheel balance (costs money) from discount tire and see if that solves the problem.
2) Replace i-beam suspension bushings (4) with urethane harder bushings.
3) The problem is that all the parts in the front are loose, and the vibration will continue unless every front suspension part is replaced.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Please share....
d1353l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
My 2003 3.0L Ranger does the same thing. The dealership says they can't feel the vibration. There is a big problem and they don't what have to fix it.
The Ford dealer always says that...been there done that. Take your driveshaft out and take it to a reputable driveshaft shop. It probably needs u-joints, carrier bearing and a balance. ALWAYS re-balance the shaft, no matter what the shop says. A good driveshaft shop knows that it must be re-balanced anytime any part of it is replaced even if you use the same brand and type of u-joints.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:00   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1353l
I had a mechanic look at my truck, and the rear axle bearing was bad, which is what was causing the vibration, they told me. However, after they replaced it, I was told by other people that axle bearings just make noise, not vibration. However, they also replaced my universal joints, and there is a noticeable difference now. The low-pitch rumble is gone, and the vibration has improved, but is still present.

Between 50-60 it is definitely there mostly all the time. 65-75 it seems to subside, and the highway ride is the best at these speeds. However, above 75 the vibration is very bad, and the entire cab shakes.

Everyone keeps telling me it's tires, but I"ve had them balanced a bunch of times...
Rear axle bearings make noise...never seen one that vibrated...possible very low pitch rumble/whine. Assuming that the tire shop did a good balance job and that your front end is not falling apart loose and that your shocks are in decent shape, the only thing is the driveshaft. If it has any dents in it and/or the angles are incorrect and/or the joints and carrier bearing are worn, then you can get anywhere from a slight vibration to hideous almost undriveable vibrations.

BTW, where's the 'edit' button around here???
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:01   #6 (permalink)

U-joints, U-joints, U-joints......

I just had this problem a week ago. Along with a squeeling noise I was getting a bad vibration between 68-75MPH. Replaced the u-joints (which were bad) and the problem went away.

The driveshaft is balanced from the factory so if a U-joint goes bad it will cause the driveshaft to move around a little throwing it out of balance and thus causing the vibration.

It is a cheap fix, if you can find someone to do the work. The parts were only $30 for front and rear u-joints. FYI...in my 2002 2WD Ranger the front and rear u-joints were the same size, despite what the auto parts store told me.

Make sure that whoever does the work that they mark the front and rear joints to make sure they are back in the same place when you put them back on. There should already be a mark on the rear joint, but I marked the front as well just to make sure it was back in perferct balance.
nitrorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 17:33   #7 (permalink)

I have they exact same problem as you guys on my 2001 Ford Ranger 4WD. I had the 2 u-joints changed and the the drive shaft rebalanced. I had this done 2-3 weeks ago and it was better. My truck still vibrates at around 55-60 mph. But this week it's worst than ever. Happy to know I'm not alone! If someone has a solution please help us !!!
Dave326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum