Ford Forums banner

'90 Ranger overheating

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  additional 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1990 Ranger and it is running very hot. It has been 95+ the past few days, but it still is getting almost up to the last line in the normal range. It doesn't show signs of being overheated, though. There is no steam and the air still runs cold. (however I keep the air off so that's not the issue) My mechanic said that I need to get a new fan drive and thermostat. That seems reasonable, but I thought I would ask here first. Anyone had this problem before and what was the solution?

#2 ·
i've had the problem once but i think my mine was a grounding issue. i had just lifted my truck and a week later the over heat dial thing would go crazy. i lifted the hood and then tightened the ground wire and fixed it. i was also (recently) considering changing my radiator fluid which is supposed to be really easy and cheap. just drain it out and then plug a garden hose into the top of your radiator and run water through it. finally, refill. but i never got around to it. your mechanic sounds right just don't let him jew you if that's not what is really wrong with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.