91 Ranger 2.9L 2WD Ignition trouble. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 16:45   #1 (permalink)

91 Ranger 2.9L 2WD Ignition trouble.

For quite a while the truck was running rough and did not want to do well up a hill. I passed this off as it needing an O2 sensor. One day the truck just up and died and will not start at all. I checked and it has spark, and is getting good fuel pressure.

I replaced the ignition control module. I took the old one out and got it tested. Apparently it has been replaced before, as there were screws holding it in instead of the bolts that you would need the special tool for. So I am thinking this is keeping it from getting a good ground, plus the fact that I coated it well with dialectric grease.... oh and the old module tested bad.

Okay I am confident, ready for it to fire up. Wrong! Now I am not getting spark except for one good spark when I am done trying to crank the truck.

I have been told two things.
1. The coil is good because it is getting spark.
2. There is a possibility that it is getting spark when the key is in run but will not get spark in the crank position.

Before I go back into the cold Iowa weather, I would like to get a few ideas on things I can check.

Recap:
Before ICM replacement, good fuel pressure, wet spark plugs, and spark. After, no spark except the one spark when I stop cranking.

Thanks for the time. I am a little bummed right now because my wife, daughter and I were supposed to be going to my sisters where my mom is. Not going to happen now. Getting the truck running would be at least one good thing that comes of this week.
Weald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 06:56   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 91 Ranger 2.9L 2WD Ignition trouble.

I would check base timing and also verify that the coil is good.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 16:20   #3 (permalink)

Ignition Control Manual is good. Took the old one in and had it re-tested. They had used the wrong cord to test it with. It tested good after three tests. I did a resistance check on the coil. The one coil tested fine but the cross check was only 5.9K when the measurement is supposed to be between 6.5K - 11K.

So the truck has a good ICM and a good Coil. At least the ICM has fresh thermal grease on it!

I am thinking now it would have to be either plug wires or more likely the cap and rotor are not making good contact.
Old 12-24-2008, 22:02   #4 (permalink)

Found out cylinder #6 is not getting spark. Going to take the cap off and check for build up. If there is then I will clean it up and see if I at least get spark. I need to check all the plugs for proper gap. With a good coil I am getting a hot spark. The truck will start up and run for a couple seconds then die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum