92 Ford Ranger XLT Rust Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2003, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Beasty

92 Ford Ranger XLT Rust Problem

I need Help!!!!!!

I know it is minor at this point, however I have a rust problem that I want to resolve as quickly as possible.

This is a 92 Ranger XLT. Fantastic truck, never and I kid you not never have I ever had a problem with it until now. I guess with the test of time and the fact I live in Florida it was bound and determined at some point to come down with a tiny rust problem. I mean tiny.

I am looking for a simple solution. The truck has been great and all, but I do not want to spend allot of time with this issue or spend allot of money either. I have gotten my worth from this truck, but wouldn't mind keeping it a little bit longer.

The rust has formed on the drivers side of the truck at and around the molding that helps holds the windshield in place. Do you know what I am talking about. It is very small, but I want to stop it.

I do not want to go through painting and all or scraping it down with a wire brush if possible because that will just lead to priming and painting. You see were it is located is right in the joint along that molding that covers the windshield and I do not want to take everything off of it. What about naval jelly? Will it wash off or is there another thing that someone out there could offer me. Like maybe some sort of "cover" on it and then leave it.

Please let me know. It would help.

Beasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2003, 13:46   #2 (permalink)
Beasty

confused How about A Response

Is there anybody out there that will respond? I mean there have been 41 of you out there that have read my predicament but not one of you have offered a suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Beasty
Old 03-18-2004, 20:16   #3 (permalink)

Re: 92 Ford Ranger XLT Rust Problem

the only way i know of geting rid of rust is cutting the section out and welding in new sheet mettle or the wire brush and paint that i think is probily the best way brush it all away or pay some one else to do it alli have to say is rust sucks and i live in northern MI lol you wanna talk about rust sorry i am not must help
DaveeyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 13:12   #4 (permalink)

cool Re: 92 Ford Ranger XLT Rust Problem

Common problem around the moldings of many vehicles. The trim tends to wear away a spot of paint and then water gets under it. There's probably more rust under the molding that you can't see too. Best to have a body shop pull the trim and the window out, sandblast the rust, and weld a new piece in. Unless you're comfortable doing that yourself. Sounds like a lot, but if you don't fix it, it's only going to get worse and eventually leak.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 17:47   #5 (permalink)

Re: 92 Ford Ranger XLT Rust Problem

From what I can tell, paint on the '92s is awful at best. I have rust in the same place you do and i am getting in the rear wheel wells. I tried keeping after it with rust remover and sand paper to no avial.

The previous poster was correct in saying you should take it to a body shop.

~ct86
ct86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum