92 Ranger 4.0L V6 idle drops at 2000rpm (update) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 92 Ranger 4.0L V6 idle drops at 2000rpm (update)

Hey, quickly before I resume with work.

This morning I decided to drive into work to see if the truck was indeed solved (rpm kept dropping at about 2Krpm on Saturday, 4.0L V6 with 5spd manual) and nope, it's NOT OK. It got to about 3Krpm before it would drop the rpm again. Was able to make it into work but had to finally drop it into 4th to enable low highway speeds, if that to get into work.

I immediately took it to Midas and they did a code check and came up with a code and I think they said the coolant temp sensor was out of spec but in a full going over, found my rear U Joint is loose, the left front wheel bearing is loose (both front wheel bearings were replaced in 2005 and have all of 47K or so on them), the motor has many, many leaks, the radiator is just beginning to leak, the timing cover leaks, the thermostat leaks (I know a bolt is missing as I lost it and it's difficult to get to), the power steering is leaking though they didn't mention that, brakes were fine (thought so) and then did a full diagnostics and found that my Idle Air Control MTR is kaput and the battery, which is I think 6 years old is weak and needs to be replaced very soon, like almost now but still cranks the motor over and holds a charge but is low on electrolytes though.

So a couple of things, they say $290 to replace the Idle Air Controller, on top of the diagnostics etc, $400 or so, got the money but with all the other issues, I don't think it's worth it. So what I want to know is, how difficult is it for me to replace the controller myself and how difficult is it to tighten the wheel bearing (if it can be done), I know U joints aren't expensive if I have to replace that. The goal is to get the truck limping along in drivable shape so I can begin the process of replacing it.

Thanks again!
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 92 Ranger 4.0L V6 idle drops at 2000rpm (update)

If the wheel bearings are " loose " and have been for a while , they are probably knackered and need replacing rather than just tightening up .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 14:37   #3 (permalink)

Re: 92 Ranger 4.0L V6 idle drops at 2000rpm (update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
If the wheel bearings are " loose " and have been for a while , they are probably knackered and need replacing rather than just tightening up .
Thanks, have no idea how long they've been loose.
92rangerstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum