Ford Forums banner

92 Ranger Throttle Position Sensor Problem

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jimbot58 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Ford Ranger 6cyl. The check engine light comes on about 3 times a month for about 30 seconds and then goes off. I bought a code reader and got the code 124 which is throttle position sensor voltage to high.

I used my volt meter and checked the TPS and all was good. Voltage at idle and full throttle was within specs.

Being that the problem comes and goes i'm not sure what to check. All the wiring and plugs appear to be good.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

#2 ·
The TPS is a mechanical sensor, not electronic, and does wear out. You could test it as good, but it might have "dead" spots in the rheostat. Just like the old style radio knobs that after time that would crackle when turning up or down the volume. I replaced the sensor maybe 4 or 5 times during the 23 year life of my '86. I would replace it if in doubt, as it is 15+ years old.

#3 ·
I moved the TPS real slow and did not notice any dead spots on my meter. If I remember right it started at .8 volts at idle and as I moved the TPS to full throttle the voltage slowly went up(no drops to zero) to 4.8 at full throttle. I think they are around $30 so I'll just replace it. From what I under stand on a TPS, after it is installed, it must be adjusted before tightening the screws. Is this correct? if so is it very hard to do?

Thanks
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.