92 Ranger Throttle Position Sensor Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57   #1 (permalink)

92 Ranger Throttle Position Sensor Problem

I have a 1992 Ford Ranger 6cyl. The check engine light comes on about 3 times a month for about 30 seconds and then goes off. I bought a code reader and got the code 124 which is throttle position sensor voltage to high.

I used my volt meter and checked the TPS and all was good. Voltage at idle and full throttle was within specs.

Being that the problem comes and goes i'm not sure what to check. All the wiring and plugs appear to be good.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim
jbfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 01:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92 Ranger Throttle Position Sensor Problem

The TPS is a mechanical sensor, not electronic, and does wear out. You could test it as good, but it might have "dead" spots in the rheostat. Just like the old style radio knobs that after time that would crackle when turning up or down the volume. I replaced the sensor maybe 4 or 5 times during the 23 year life of my '86. I would replace it if in doubt, as it is 15+ years old.
jimbot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:30   #3 (permalink)

I moved the TPS real slow and did not notice any dead spots on my meter. If I remember right it started at .8 volts at idle and as I moved the TPS to full throttle the voltage slowly went up(no drops to zero) to 4.8 at full throttle. I think they are around $30 so I'll just replace it. From what I under stand on a TPS, after it is installed, it must be adjusted before tightening the screws. Is this correct? if so is it very hard to do?

Thanks
Jim
jbfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfoster View Post
I moved the TPS real slow and did not notice any dead spots on my meter. If I remember right it started at .8 volts at idle and as I moved the TPS to full throttle the voltage slowly went up(no drops to zero) to 4.8 at full throttle. I think they are around $30 so I'll just replace it. From what I under stand on a TPS, after it is installed, it must be adjusted before tightening the screws. Is this correct? if so is it very hard to do?

Thanks
Jim
Not sure about yours, but on mine it is simple-there is an arm on the throttle that must engage a bar the sensor. I think I just had to put it in place and rotate it clock-wise against the arm as the sensor was spring loaded.
jimbot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum