94 ford ranger- rear brakes form hell - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 16:50   #1 (permalink)

94 ford ranger- rear brakes form hell

hey guys... i have a evil one here.. i swear its possessed

its a 94 ranger, 2x4..

I got this truck with all the brakes rusted,( been sitting).. when you hit the brakes, the dr rear brake would lock up and would make thre truck dive hard....... all was rusted, rear wheel cyls leaking, etc.... total krap...

I have replaced: frt pads, rotors, bearings, seals.
rear drums(10" system fyi), shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, rear brake lines, adjuster cables, cleaned up the adjusters,etc

Now its worse then ever!!!!!!
Still on light brake application, now both rear wheels lock up hard!! It wants to throw you through the windshield, worse then before. I have even tried a new master, thinking that the high pressure from the frts was leaking into the rear... no dice, same..

The rear brake get smoking hot, new drums are purple already! I have verified that all brakes work when pedal applied, the brakes DO NOT DRAG when not applied.. i thought mabye bad booster making thr brakes drag so i i even rechecked this with eng running and still no drag when brakes not applied..

I took the rears apart several times, have verified that all springs are in the proper spots, shoes are in the proper spots, etc etc etc.

SO wtf? that leaves me with only a few parts to guess.....
this truck has rabs only, could the rabs solenoid block/valve be bad causing too much pressure bieng applied to the rear??????? Thats my next best guess.

now i was also thinking that mabye the frt calipers or hoses were collapsed up frt causing the rears to overwork, but if that was the case they wouldnt have compressed easily when i did the brake job, and youd surly think that if the hoses were collapsed up front that the frt brakes would be dragging at least once hot and they are not....

What do you guys think??? haunted isnt it? plus its red, i have a thing about red cars man... long before i saw the movie used cars lol....

OPINIONS PLEASE!!
cadillacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 22:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 ford ranger- rear brakes form hell

stumped all of you guys too huh? this things possessed, i swear
cadillacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 22:35   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Are you sure the fronts are working? If it has RABS, it's supposed to limit the rear brakes when applied like that. Have you lifted it and checked to see that the fronts are working? If the front brake hoses are plugged, the fronts won't apply.
Old 12-03-2009, 00:16   #4 (permalink)

Do you have oversiized tires? Just a thought. I was once told that if I put drastically larger wheels and tires on my Ranger that it would adversly affect the ABS.
k9byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:09   #5 (permalink)

First the dumb questions:

You sure you have the right shoes in the right position? Primary shoe (with more friction material) facing front of vehicle?

Just want to confirm--we're dealing with a vacuum booster? Hasn't been converted to HydroBoost system?

Ok then, does it have a metering valve or a proportioning valve? If so, are the brake lines connected to the right ports? Because your symptoms sure sound like a sticking proportioning valve.

When do the brakes release? Do you have to back up to get them to unlock?
Old 12-04-2009, 22:19   #6 (permalink)

Oh wait, you have ABS. Hmmm. Have to rethink this. Maybe rear hydraulic valve sticking.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum