96 Ranger 2.3 L no fuel pressure. PLEASE HELP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

96 Ranger 2.3 L no fuel pressure. PLEASE HELP

Daughters 96 Ranger 2.3L 5 speed died on the highway. Went to lend a hand and tried all the basics. Found ZERO fuel at the fuel Rail. Had it towed home and added 3 gallons of fuel just to make sure that its not out of fuel. That did not solve the issue.

So, I have every other damn service manual in the world but not that one. I checked ALL the fuses and there all good.

Does anyone have electronic copies of the fuel system drawings and electrical schematics???

What are some of the common things that fail and cause a loss of fuel pressure other than the fuel pump or fuel filter??

Is accessing the fuel pump a dropping the tank procedure??

Thanks for any and all assistance and guidance that you can provide.

BC
billf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 96 Ranger 2.3 L no fuel pressure. PLEASE HELP

Fuses, fusible links, loss of ground, fuel pump relay, inertia switch.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36   #3 (permalink)
1998 Ranger

If I was guessing, I would say the Fuel Pump. Probably not the filter. Running low on fuel consistently is hard on fuel pumps, any history of that? Do you have a check Eng Light on? If you do not have a CEL at all it could be an indication that you have a bigger problem, but check Inertia Switch FIRST for sure. The Inertia Switch on my 98 and some other Rangers is near the RH Kick Panel, has a Red (probably red) reset switch. That is an easy check.

To replace Fuel Pump yopu either have to drop the tank or lift up the bed. Unless you are in heavy Rust Country the bed is easier. Take out all the bolts except the 2 back ones, loosen them 9real loose) and raise it like a dump bed just enough to get at the top of the tank. You will need a special Fuel Pump Wrench (available cheap at Parts Stores) and some Quick Disconnect tools for the Fuel Lines, if it is like my 98. Make sure you take everything loose befor raising the bed, like filler hose for the gas tank, the ground straps to the bed, etc. It is possible to change the FP in a couple hours if you can raise the bed. If you want to force the bed bolts out, if they are rusty, you will probably have to buy the "special nuts" from Ford; still may be easier than dropping the tank.

Have you checked for power back at the Fuel Pump? The power wires to the FP are Black and Pink/Black (could be purple/black. I am half color blind). Should be 12 V between these 2 wires. Check with a meter, not a test light if at all possible. Good Luck.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

- Check all the fuses. Replace any that are blown if any.

- Swap the horn relay for the fuel pump relay and see if it works then. (Make sure the horn works before you remove that relay )

- Have someone cycle the ignition switch while listening for the fuel pump to come on. If it does not, try rapping on the tank with a large plastic/rubber mallet while trying to start the vehicle. If it starts, most likely the pump is bad.

- If those do not work then you will have to check for power at the pump. Power should be present on the larger red wire. Cycle the key while using a test lamp to verify. If you have power, most likely the pump is bad.
Old 07-13-2009, 17:02   #5 (permalink)

Guys

Thanks a million for the recommendations. I have someplace to start now. It does NOT have any Check Eng Light.

I forgot about that damn collision switch.

Yes,,,,,she runs the tank DRY a LOT!

I will let you know what I find!

BC
Old 07-13-2009, 18:19   #6 (permalink)

HOT DAMN!!! Its FIXED! Heres the scoop.

The BIG battery ground on the radiator support was broken off. There was some aching on the wire and the eyelet and I guess that blew the 40 AMP MAXI fuse. The fuse looked good when I checked it Saturday night. Cant see how I missed it.

So, I crimped on a new ground lug, cleaned up the ground stud stuck in a new fuse and charged the battery (It was LOW because they cranked the piss out of it trying to get it to run. ) BAM,,,,,,,,,,Started right up!

While I have the truck, I checked the fluids. They were all low also!

Man, Im glad that it was that simple!!

Thanks again for all your help.

BC
Old 07-14-2009, 05:30   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Glad it was easy fix and ya got it straight.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum