97 will not start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 20:07   #1 (permalink)

97 will not start

ok i know this will sound crazy but its true and im about to pull my hair out
ive got a 97 ranger 2.3 , 2 wheel drive, 5 speed. go out in the morning will not start . cranks over fine. ive got spark and fuel pressure is good. but ive not done anything to it for along time so i replace the plugs and wires still no start. then both coil packs, crank senser and timming belt, and cam senser ive even replaced the fuel pump module and filter still nothing all 4 holes have good compression. ive left the exhaust side plugs out over night to dry out because they were fuel fouled. ive even replaced them with anouther new set still nothing and it will not fire on ether. im totally at a loss everything i know says this thing should run.. ive even swapped out the PCM with 2 other used but good PCMs. whats the problem?
willie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 97 will not start

Is there blue spark at the spark plugs when cranking? Did it just happen one day and ran good before?
Old 02-23-2011, 20:40   #3 (permalink)

yes ran fine one day nothing the next has not ran since. its been parked for a few months because of the weather. put a new battery in it a few days ago and all it does is crank. ive got a good blue spark at all 8 plugs. have good fuel pressure and volume
Old 02-23-2011, 20:56   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Are the spark plugs getting fuel fouled every time you try to crank it? Have you tried spraying starting fluid in and cranking it? Also, try holding the throttle all the way to the floor and crank it. That spposed to shut the fuel if it's flooded. Unhook the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and see if fuel is in the hose.
Old 02-23-2011, 21:01   #5 (permalink)

it maybe the coolant temp sensor for the fuel injection system playing up.sometimes this can cause flooding.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06   #6 (permalink)

ive pulled the fuel pump relay and tried to start it on ether still nothing
and timming is dead on..
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Time to double check, no matter what you think, it doesn't hurt to double check. Based on the info you're giving, it should start. (I know you know that). Pull the inspection plug if yours has one and make sure the timing is still correct. Also make sure firing order is also correct. If you didn't gap the plugs, make sure they have the correct gap. I have been behind a mechanic that did not do this and the whole set of plugs were closed. (Apparently dropped or something in shipping)
I would suspect timing or firing order, but as suggested, check fuel pressure regulator and CTS
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55   #8 (permalink)

bud I'd hate to even suggest it but...do you have gas in it. I knew an outstanding car guy who literally replaced his motor for the same reason. he went through everything in the car only to have someone else point out the obvious..definitley not questioning your intelligence but it's possible
jgoods79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 20:06   #9 (permalink)

ok sorry for not responding sooner .. ive double and triple checked everything i can think of. timing is perfect all 8 plugs are firing. ive got the bed off of it right now and removed the fuel pump module drained the gas in the tank and refilled with 5 gal of fresh gas .... nothing worked . i dont get it this thing should run. if there was a internal problem with the engine i wouldnt have compresion right ? im about to the point where im going to remove the engine and tear it down just to see.
Old 03-02-2011, 20:26   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did you try spraying starting fluid in the intake and crank it?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum