98 Ranger 3.0 pings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 15:40   #1 (permalink)

98 Ranger 3.0 pings

My 98 Ranger 3.0 litre ( 70,000 miles) pings under moderate or greater acceleration even with premium gas with octance booster added. Any ideas as to the probable cause?
seacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 09:05   #2 (permalink)

cool Re: 98 Ranger 3.0 pings

Have the dealer reflash the computer, but before you do that try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes and see if just a reset will help.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 21:15   #3 (permalink)

Re: 98 Ranger 3.0 pings

It pings because of the poor shape of the 3.0 combustion chamber.This is very well known. The shape and or poor combustion leads to very bad accumulation of soot which causes run on/pinging. It really helps to lower the engine temp as the 180 degree thermo mod is very popular. Did it to my 2001 3.0 and it cured my pinging. The seafoam treatment has good results too but have not done it myself. It is usually sucked in through the brake booster vac line and cleans out the chambers of soot. Somewhat tricky procedure but very popular.I would first try the 180 degree mod.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybo
It pings because of the poor shape of the 3.0 combustion chamber.This is very well known. The shape and or poor combustion leads to very bad accumulation of soot which causes run on/pinging. It really helps to lower the engine temp as the 180 degree thermo mod is very popular. Did it to my 2001 3.0 and it cured my pinging. The seafoam treatment has good results too but have not done it myself. It is usually sucked in through the brake booster vac line and cleans out the chambers of soot. Somewhat tricky procedure but very popular.I would first try the 180 degree mod.
quick question- the seafoam treatment that you speak of what is this and do you know if this is something that can be done your self and if there is any web site describing the proceedure? Thanks
cowboyjaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:57   #5 (permalink)

you can do it your self with the help of a friend to turn on and off the motor, mounted on the firewall is the break booster, driverside you should know what it looks like, bull the vac line out of the booster pour the seafoam in a big cup stick that hose as far down as it will go suck down half of it turn off the motor(it will be quick so have some one handy with you) and add the other half to your fule tank wait 15-30 min. turn on your truck and let all the white smoke come out. rev it every 5-10min up to 2000 rpm and let it sit again, wait till the smoke looks like its almost gone and go for a lil 10 min. drive! Its well worth the 7 bucks.
Ranger_boi951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:59   #6 (permalink)

oops PULL not BULL sorry
Old 09-18-2006, 16:17   #7 (permalink)

About the seafoam...mustang guys use it..alot. If your wondering about specifics, like where to put it and all that, try searching on a "mustang only" site. I'll bet you get 200 results back..
Old 09-23-2006, 21:06   #8 (permalink)

whats this thermo mod 180 degrees you talk about? is that just swapping the thermostat with a 180 degree one?
roldaphat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45   #9 (permalink)

yeah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum