98 ranger 4wd issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 02:37   #1 (permalink)

98 ranger 4wd issues

New to 4wd, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I recently purchased a used 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4wd and I'm having some issues with the 4wd system. Forgive me if I don't use the proper terminology, this is my first 4wd and I know next to nothing about it.

Vehicle Specs:
98 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Electronic 4wd
4.0L V6
5 Speed Manual
ABS

When I engage 4wd high and begin to move forward there is a substantial clinking or chunking sound which increases in frequency as the speed increases. I assume something is stripped somewhere or not fully engaging? Also, I assumed up until today that 4wd low was working properly, however I tried to back up a steep gravel hill in 4wd low and after a few feet the rear tires just seemed to jump up and down quickly and I ended up going nowhere. Conversely, while going forward in 4wd high everything seems to have engaged properly, I assume this because it is somewhat difficult to control the steering, the power seems to be there as far as I can tell and the speed is lacking which leads me to believe that it is engaging properly at least in forward motion.

Where should I begin troubleshooting first? Are the hubs just worn, and if so how difficult are they to replace?
stiv407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 09:03   #2 (permalink)

cool Re: 98 ranger 4wd issues

Most likely the front hubs are either shot or not engaging properly. The 98 and 99 Rangers had vacuum-controlled hubs, which proved to be troublesome. A lot of people just replace the hubs and axle shafts with parts from a 95-up Explorer or 00-up Ranger, where the front hubs were always locked in.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech.../99hubswap.htm
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnnyo
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 17:40   #3 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

confused Re: 98 ranger 4wd issues

im not completly shure about this but i seen the same thing happen on a dodge dokota and a s10 never a ford though this is what they said u should do, when going into 4wd after engagine go in reverse for a good 6 feet then forward as with disengagingdo the same thing, but im pretty shure u dont have to when engineg, they would anyways
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 18:31   #4 (permalink)

On a late-model Ranger it isn't necessary to go in reverse to disengage the hubs. Like I said elsewhere, 98-99 Rangers have vacuum disconnect front hubs, so as soon as you shift into 2wd they unlock (assuming they actually locked in the first place, which was the problem). 00-up Rangers and 95-up Explorers have front hubs that are always locked in, so all the 4wd switch does is turn the t-case on and off.
I don't know how the Dodge and Chevy systems work. I wouldn't own one, so it doesn't matter.
Old 10-28-2005, 22:59   #5 (permalink)

Re: 98 ranger 4wd issues

should i just choose to replace the necessary parts for what's already existing now, is it just a matter of replacing the worn hubs if that is in fact the source of the problem. or is it much more involved than that? just seems like a ton of work to swap out with an explorer or newer ranger.
Old 10-29-2005, 23:31   #6 (permalink)

I had a similar problem my hubs were shot, did a lot of grindin and not much else haha...
whterange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 19:05   #7 (permalink)

It's cheaper just to replace the bad parts but they'll go bad again. You don't have to swap the whole axle assembly, just the shafts and hubs.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:20   #8 (permalink)

perhaps i will go with the swap then, do it right the first time. thanks for your help, i appreciate it
Old 11-25-2005, 04:26   #9 (permalink)

had this problem, since these hubs engage by vacuum, check seals, 1 at back of hub where axle comes through and an O-ring onthe out side where hub snaps on, I also sprayed some lithium grease in the hub and worked it a few times by hand before putting back on truck, working OK now.
mtneer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum