98 Ranger...camshaft Position Sensor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 17:57   #1 (permalink)

98 Ranger...camshaft Position Sensor

My truck has the lovely 2.5L 4cyl motor. About 2 weeks ago it tossed the code for the Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I believe it's P0340.... I replaced the sensor with the greatest of ease. Today, it tossed the exact same code. I know the key words are "Circuit Malfunction" meaning it can be anywhere in the wiring. Can anyone give me any better ideas besides just tearing into the wires trying to find a grounded out or frayed wire? Or could it possibly (I highly doubt it) be a bad sensor? Maybe I should replace the sensor again? This is gonna drive me insane!!! Thanks in advance for all the help!!!
82fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 04:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 Ranger...camshaft Position Sensor

Ok, I figured I would post an update on my situation in case there are other people with this same problem.... The "CPS" has 2 wires connecting it, a blu/or and a red/grey. The blue and orange is a direct feed to the computer to pin 85. The red/grey includes other sensors on the same circuit going to pin 91. Seeing as how there was only the one code for the CEL, I knew that the wire causing the problem was the blu/or. I cut both ends of the wire, leaving them connected at the computer and the plug for the sensor, and spliced a new wire to it running away from the block so this will not happen again. This saved me alot of money from a repair shop of having to remove the AC Compressor and the power steering pump brackets. Hopefully this will help someone else!!
82fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum