98' XLT 4X4 4.0 L 5 Speed Auto Issues ;( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 13:20   #1 (permalink)

98' XLT 4X4 4.0 L 5 Speed Auto Issues ;(

My 98' Ranger has an issue that nobody can FIGURE OUT. Occasionally, when I put the truck in a Gear, whether it be reverse, drive, d1, d2 etc, the truck idles down to about 6k like normal, but when I give it gas, the truck acts like the emergency brake is on... One time I even put it in neutral, got out of the truck and proceeded to rock it as hard as I could, front to back- back to front, and it just would not roll.. Now when I punch it, it will make a loud bang and take off like I have a line lock system set up for racing... I have herd mainly three quesses.. The tranny, the brakes or the rear end.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for reading All and good luck..

Dan

I have some answers that may help some people... If your check engine light comes on periodically, it could be that your gas cap is not on tightly..

If you here a humming noise coming from the engine, your air filter housing needs adjusted..

If your radio/cd lights start fading in or out, buy a new radio.. Heheheh, cause it will quit on ya in a month or two..
Mcarlo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 23:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98' XLT 4X4 4.0 L 5 Speed Auto Issues ;(

That is the strangest thing I've ever heard of. My best guess is that it might be a problem with your torque converter. Check with your dealer for any TSB's
Lone Ranger5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:03   #3 (permalink)
Plum Krazy XLT

Sounds familiar...

My '94 5-speed manual does that. I have found that mine is a result of setting the park brake when conditions are wet. I'm thinking it's a case of the linings "binding" to the drum as they cool and dry, and the springs not strong enough to pull them loose. I've been looking into whether we have a semi-metallic lining that is "rusting" the drum and shoe lining together as they sit.
The "bang!" is when I finally overcome the seizure and the springs pull the shoes in where they belong, the wheel breaks loose, and I hope there's nothing parked too close because it's gonna spin the wheel, launch the truck, or throw loose gravel a few feet! Once I've done that, the shoes are in normal operating mode until next time it rains.
I haven't heard any other explanations, but maybe someone else here has found one. Maybe a service tech who's seen it and dealt with it. The one's I find are not those.

Truck on
Peck
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:33   #4 (permalink)

You're write Peck... Mine seems to happen when it is damp out, but I never use my parking/emergency brake.. I did get a few suggestions from my brother that I am going to try.. He wants me to lift the truck and try to rotate each wheel to see if one is stuck or binding.. And also to check the fluid and the gasket on the lid of the master cylinder.

Still looking for suggestions and quidance and I'll keep ya posted Peck on what I find out..

Dan
Mcarlo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum