AC has mind of its own - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 14:53   #1 (permalink)
T-Boy

AC has mind of its own

2003 Ford Ranger
2.3L
Automatic transmission

Just wondering if anyone can help me with my ac problem.
When I start my truck up my ac blows warm air, looked at the clutch and it is not engaging. I have put the pressure gauge on during this time and the needle is in the red max zone.

After about 30-45 minutes, once I come to an idle, I notice my rpm drops a little every 15 seconds and my ac is cold as can be. I look under the hood and I see the clutch trying to engage and finally fully engages. I then put the pressure gauge on and the needle is in the green.

The ac will engage again if I turn the truck off and back on as long as it isn't off for more than 5 minutes. If it's longer than 5 minutes then I must wait 30 minutes or so and HOPE it decides to engage again.

Any help will be appreciated.
thezinger79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 19:36   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: AC has mind of its own

Curious, but when was the system last serviced? Ie, checked for leaks, proper amount of refrigerant, electrical connections are all secure and solid.

If the system was low on refrigerant the A/C clutch would consistently turn on and off every few seconds so as not to cause damage by running the compressor all the time.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 22:44   #3 (permalink)
T-Boy

I bought the truck in 2007 and I have never had the ac serviced. I don't know much about air conditioners, except that it feels really good in south Louisiana. The refrigerant could be low even though the pressure gauge is maxed out while clutch is not engaged and in the green when it is engaged?
thezinger79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Well, I'm not familiar with the pressure gauges but I believe there is a high and a low that you have to meet. With it being a 2007 it really shouldn't be low on refrigerant.....

When you start of stop the vehicle, make sure the fan is NOT on ANY of the defrost positions, so when you start it, you won't start the AC compressor as well. The compressor runs on ANY defrost mode. If you have auto climate control, be sure to shut it off first, before you turn the vehicle off to save added wear and tear on the system.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum